My PC's clock malfuntions

Reaction score
For more than three years - don't ask me why I haven't posted about it until now - my watch hasn't worked properly: When I start my computer it shows the time and date of when I turned my computer off and to set it to the current time I have to go the date and time-settings and turn on the automatic clock. But after a couple of hours - I haven't kept track of how long - it will resync to an earlier time, I haven't kept track of how far back. This used to leave me required to every now and then look at my watch and turn on automatic time but throughout this last week when I do that it just takes forever to load up a time and when it does the time hasn't changed from before I pressed to auto-detect the time. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
is your time zone setup correctly?? Daylight saving time active??
You can change the poll period in the registry (I have mine set to 4 hrs, meaning my time is synchronized every 4 hours).

Reaction score
is your time zone setup correctly?? Daylight saving time active??
You can change the poll period in the registry (I have mine set to 4 hrs, meaning my time is synchronized every 4 hours).
I forgot to mention that the time zone is set to Stockholm among other cities which is the one I want. I don't know though what daylight saving time means.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't know though what daylight saving time means.
Daylight savings time is a construct used by various geographical locations in the spring and fall. Common here in the U.S. and would account for only a one hour variations it your time settings.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the time zone is set to Stockholm among other cities which is the one I want. I don't know though what daylight saving time means.

So your time setting in the taskbar looks something like this:

2019-04-28_124440.jpg
?

Daylight savings time is known as Summer time in Europe and pretends to save energy by using electricity less due to longer brightness in the evenings...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I start my computer it shows the time and date of when I turned my computer off
All systems depend on an RTC (real time clock) Battery to maintain the correct time and date when a system is deprived of power, and....
as such will, if the battery has failed, resort to a predetermined time and date based on the manufacturer's BIOS.
SO......
What kind of system do you have?? (desktop, laptop, tablet, 2in1, etc.)
How do you shut your system down?
Upon shutting the system down, do you typically also unplug it from external power sources or flip a switch on a power strip?

Generally, this does not come into play if the system is kept in a warm passive state by keeping it plugged into external AC power.

I once had a system with a bad capacitor in the power supply that would drain the RTC Battery when completely unplugged
AND
The system would always revert back to something like midnight January 1st 1999, which I guess was the system BIOS Default.

Another thought....
Some third party software you might have installed that is polling another International Time Server source and causing your issue.
Nothing comes to mind immediately but with the vast amount of software out there.... I suppose it's a possibility worth exploring.

Reaction score
My system is a WIndows 10 PC. I usually shut it off with the command to shut it off in the start menu

Reaction score
You can try replacing the cmos battery then, and see if that works. It's most likely a cr2032 watch battery, and only costs a couple bucks. At least you can rule that out as an issue if it doesn't help.

If you would have had a laptop or tablet, that would have been more difficult to do

Reaction score
Or actually it might have cause I started my computer now and it shows the correct time. I'll have to wait and see if it malfunctions again

Ask a Question