SOLVED Older PC's and Creators build

Bif

Reaction score
Curious to know, if an older PC is deemed not compatible due to age and/or hardware compatibility with the Creators build and thusly not be received via updates or ISO/tool.. will the present build still be supported? ( patches/security.. yada yada)
Or will MS in thier infinite wisdom force Creators build on someone regardless? ( ala Windows 7 ) and render all/allot of older equipment useless...

Clarification... Present build being the current installed build on the PC at the moment.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Lovely!..Just lovely, but as suspected..MS is truly " forcing " folks to purchase new with this ideology.
Thanks for the info @Regedit32 ....
And I know you're just the messenger;)

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
but as suspected..MS is truly " forcing " folks to purchase new with this ideology

vistajoke71[1].jpg

Despicable really.

End of May Windows 10, Version 1507 will no longer be supported with Security updates. Not too sure about Version 1607, but I imagine in time that too will not be supported

I dont think we will see the long support lengths in many YEARS like previous releases saw.
This is really worrying from basic security patches standpoint.

Reaction score
Just to point out my "old machine" , My desktop is a 05 item, came with Vista, when w8 came out it said it wasn't "update-able", well I was going to test that. I did get W8 Pro installed using a clean ISO and my retail key. I since went to 8.1, and when W10 came out it took that too, using a ISO installer. Its running the NEW Creators just fine, used the last ISO that the windows assist tool created on USB. It doesn't have that "bug" either my laptop did, I've gone back to Redstone on that for now., and its newer and has twice the ram.

So if your able, do a full image of your running system, use the assist tool to make a USB installer and try it. You might find it WILL install, esp since you already have W10 running like I did on the desktop.

Bif

Reaction score
@Norton ^ LOL!
@Hoody, I may giver a go..But there appears to more facing problems of all sorts with "forcing" an install than there are not, and I'm getting too impatient in my years to constantly fix or undo things MS breaks.
We'll see, a couple fingers of liquid courage and you never know what's possible!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
@Norton ^ LOL!
@Hoody, I may giver a go..But there appears to more facing problems of all sorts with "forcing" an install than there are not, and I'm getting too impatient in my years to constantly fix or undo things MS breaks.
We'll see, a couple fingers of liquid courage and you never know what's possible!:rolleyes:

I bet you can get it done, and will be more confident after :)

Reaction score
Hi. I've updated many PCs so far some up to 12 or more years old with no problems. Just go to Windows Update and if fully up to date it will invite you to download the small Windows10 update tool to do Creators. Easy Peasy.

Bif

Reaction score
Hi. I've updated many PCs so far some up to 12 or more years old with no problems. Just go to Windows Update and if fully up to date it will invite you to download the small Windows10 update tool to do Creators. Easy Peasy.
Thanks for the info, but the vast majority or maybe more accurately an extremely large number of folks who have gone to Creators update have had numerous issues, hence the need for forums such as this and many others...so I'm in no rush at all, if and when MS sends me the nod via updates I'll do it then.
I'm glad that you had such great success with older machines, one of the lucky ones for sure!
Cheers

Reaction score
Installed creators update on two PC's ( identical builds ) an HP dv6700 laptop and an aged cell vostro 1000
All went well, except the laptops didn't like being updated from a USB pen from a media creator download, so did live updTe on these, took a while though....

All seem to be ok, bit curious why Mr Gates removed control panel from windows X key.....but then Apple do amazingly daft things to, in their attempt to control us also......

Reaction score
:D I have an Dell XPS420 some 9 years old. it came origionally with "Vista" installed. When microsoft talked about canning Vista, I went to Windows 7 then Windows 8.1.
I downloaded the Windows 10 x64bit, which I currently use.
The creators version I went looking for and downloaded, thus upping current version to 1703.
No problems with the update, just somewhat lengthy.

Reaction score
Maybe useful to read the Windows Lifecycle Factsheet https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

That is if you can make heads or tails of the information that's on that page, after reading it, I was sure of two things, 1) I needed more coffee, 2) None of that made any sense to what it would mean to this topic.

I read that link and was amused by this bit

"Windows 10: Windows 10 was designed as a service, whereby feature updates are required a few times a year. For most consumers, both quality and feature updates are delivered automatically according to their Windows Update settings. By policy, devices need to install the latest feature update within a 60-day grace period of its release to continue to be eligible for monthly servicing with security updates and other quality updates. "

Does this mean that if, for some reason you can't keep up that if you let updates slip you'll be stuck?
I am sure many people would be happy with that!

Reaction score
I help run a computer lab for a Senior Citizen Community (about 700 residents) and I, personally, own 8 Windows machines, none of which ran Windows 10 when i purchased them. One actually ran Windows XP, others, Vista, and even others Windows 7 and 8. I have installed Windows 10, now in Creators Update (1607) on each of mine and on about 15 computers owned by other residents in my community (at no charge for my labor).

I have never had any problem with these installs, which were done, not by update, but by a single download of the Operating system's .iso file and installation through either a USB boot flash drive or DVD. Of course, each of these computers have a CPU that is 1 GHz or faster and have at least 1 GB RAM. Anything less than this cannot run Windows 10, but most computers less than 12 years old will pass these minimum requirements.

That said, I do not recommend running a compuiter with the minimum requirements as it will be very slow and frustating for the user. I recommend a CPU running at at least 2 GHz and 4GHZ RAM for a 64 bit operating system,And the CPU should be at least dual core. A 32 bit Operating System can run successfully on 2 GB RAM but runs better at 3 or 4 GB ... note that a 32 bit machine will use only about 3.3 GB RAM even if it has 4 GB.

Reaction score
Installed creators update on two PC's ( identical builds ) an HP dv6700 laptop and an aged cell vostro 1000

I also had been running the MSWin10 tech previews on a HP DV6700, and it worked adequately, as well as any MSWin install would be expected to run. Unfortunately it won't stay powered up anymore (power port or power board, have no idea which), but at least your system proves it could work if I ever decide to track that problem down (it was only ever intended as a test bed).

Reaction score
According to the Microsoft Upgrade advisor none of my computer is suppose to run beyond Windows 7, yet my XP laptop, my Vista Laptop and my Windows 7 laptop all run on Windows 10 creators update (1703).
It took a little bit of fiddeling with the drivers but everything runs just fine. FYI: my XP laptop is now over ten years old, my Vista laptop is nine years old and my Windows 7 laptop is 7 years old. I have however three desktops where I cannot install even Windows 8 as they are not only 15+ years old, but there CPU does not support the command set of Windows 8 and higher. On those Windows 7 is the latest that can be run (except the most recent linux distributions)...

Bif

Reaction score
Will be taking the leap of faith in the morning, throwing caution to wind!... living on the edge!..
Wish me luck!:)

Bif

Reaction score
Well, that wasn't so bad!...took just over an hour to complete and all seems to be good thus far, infact everything appears to respond slightly faster now!? (go figure)
Early days yet, but a painless procedure.
Thanks to all who egged me on!
;)

Ask a Question