My personal request.

Reaction score
I am asking the administration to consider an option that allows the "thread starter" to lock the thread. There are too many times a thread started one way and before you know it, it has become a chat-room variety and the thread is basically plastic-surgeoned into something unrecognizable. If other people want to have a chat-room thread, they can start one themselves, but not at the expense of the OP.

My chance of getting this implemented is slim to none, but I follow my heart and make the request nevertheless.

Reaction score
Not sure if that would be a good idea, David.

The op could say something quite controversial, offensive or interesting enough to warrant feedback.
I know where you are going, but maybe a follow up by the op, in an attempt to get it back on track, would help a little?

There are worse forums. One of the reputably, best known forms on the web, rarely continues a thread for more than a handful of posts, before it becomes pure chat, often vindictive. Needs a lot more moderation!
So far, I find most of the exchanges here are quite friendly.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with @davehc on this one - I can see some benefits in the OP being able to lock a thread, but there would be lots of downsides to it (more so than having threads carry on for a little longer). Quite often we have older threads where new members have something to add, and the existing thread is the best place for it. If that thread was locked, then things could become quite disjointed.

The "mark this thread as solved" feature is probably the closest we can get without taking away functionality. :)

Reaction score
I agree; that if a thread needs locked or even removed, site staff can manage that task. Without opening that can of worms to everyone.

Reaction score
Referring to Cliff's post.

Perhaps, with a stcky or something, members, when they are the OP, could be encouraged to mark the problem as "Solved". Subsequently, this could be flagged to the moderators, who could use their judgement to close the thread?

Ask a Question