NAS (WDMyCloud) not visible in File Explorer

Reaction score
I have a new Del laptop, running Windows 10 Home edition. I am unable to see my NAS (WDMyCloud) in File Explorer so that I can access the files. (This is also a problem as my backup applications cannot see it.) The WDMyCloud is definitely on the network as I can see it under "Storage" and "Media Devices" but it is not under "Computer" (where I can access the files).

I had this problem a couple of years ago on another computer and found some command prompt 'config' stuff to enter that disabled the most recent SMB service and enabled an older version - tried that but it doesn't solve it either.

The WDMyCloud doesn't seem to have Homegroups, but rather it does have place for Workgroup (I don't understand those things very well but best I can tell I have the same workgroup name).

Any ideas on where to go to resolve this>?

Reaction score
Can you see under Network? Can you map it as a drive Z: \\wdmycloud\somename and whatever security log on it has. I have the simpler single drive WD thing and it just maps as a drive.

Reaction score
Can you see under Network? Can you map it as a drive Z: \\wdmycloud\somename and whatever security log on it has. I have the simpler single drive WD thing and it just maps as a drive.

When I try this, it gives me an error saying "Windows cannot access \\WDMyCloud" - same result if I use the name or the IP address. AND ... I can access it under the 'storage' and 'media' sections of the network view - they take me to a browser page that gives me access but not the "file explorer" versions that I need.

Something is going on in the network that is letting me see it in some ways and not others and I don't know what it is or how to correc it.

Reaction score
I contacted Western Digital Tech Support and they were not a lot of help. HOWEVER, they did send me the following list of Windows Services and noted that all should be running and in automatic mode. I set all to auto mode and restarted them ... except 2 - I get an error every time I try to start them. "Computer browser" and "Workstation" give me an error "Error 1068 - The dependency failed to start." This may be what is causing it. I have tried to sort out how to start these two services to no avail. .. yet.

Computer Browser

DHCP Client

DNS Client

Net Tcp Port Sharing

Network Connections

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness

Network Store Interface Service

Plug & Play

Server

SSDP Discovery

TCP IP/NetBIOS Helper

UPNP Device Host

Volume Shadow Copy

Wired Autoconfig

WLAN Autoconfig

Workstation

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"Computer browser" and "Workstation" give me an error "Error 1068 - The dependency failed to start."
Double check both. If both are giving you the same error then, there must be at least one more (a third) service that is not started,

Reaction score
Double check both. If both are giving you the same error then, there must be at least one more (a third) service that is not started,

Looks like Computer Browser requires Workstation to be running and it won't start.
Workstation requires 2 things (that are NOT listed as Windows Services) to be running - Browser Support Driver, and SMB 1X .... I don't know where to go to find these 2 things to see if they are running and/or to start them

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any reports in Event Viewer relating to Service Control Manager (SCM).
That's the guy who is responsible for starting services when Windows loads.
Without the "workstation" service starting automatically, you're going to have some issues with anything having to do with networking.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Browser Support Driver as one might expect from its' name is not listed among services because it is actually a driver called "bowser.sys" (no "r" in the name) located at
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\bowser.sys
It may be corrupt.
Try opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and typing
sc start bowser
hit enter
See if that produces an error other than "An instance of the service is already running"
IN the same command prompt you can also type
sc qc bowser
hit enter
You should see the startup type the path name as well as the display name "Browser Support Driver"

Have you ran the native System File Checker recently?
sfc /scannow

Reaction score
Does the drive show up in disk management? If so you need to right click on it in Computer management and select 'Create Simple Volume" I believe is the option it will walk you through a setup to assign a drive letter, an option to format or not format and when it is done you will see your drive and be able to use it in "Computer".

Reaction score
The Browser Support Driver as one might expect from its' name is not listed among services because it is actually a driver called "bowser.sys" (no "r" in the name) located at
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\bowser.sys
It may be corrupt.
Try opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and typing
sc start bowser
hit enter
See if that produces an error other than "An instance of the service is already running"
IN the same command prompt you can also type
sc qc bowser
hit enter
You should see the startup type the path name as well as the display name "Browser Support Driver"

Have you ran the native System File Checker recently?
sfc /scannow

Tried the commands you suggested and go "all good" responses. So bowser is running and not corrupted. It must be something else prohibiting Workstation from starting. (ugh - so frustrating)
Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Tried the commands you suggested and go "all good" responses. So bowser is running and not corrupted. It must be something else prohibiting Workstation from starting. (ugh - so frustrating)

It looks like Workstation has 3 dependencies that must be running in order for it to start.

1. Bowser (which I have verified is running)
2. SMB 2.x- and I can find nothing in the SCM saying it has started or failed - latest entry says "set to auto start"
3. SMB 1.x - several errors on this one saying it failed to start either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

It would appear that this SMB 1 or SMB 2 minidirector thing (whatever that is) is not starting for some reason and that is preventing workstation from running ... which is impacting this network stuff.

How do I troubleshoot and fix this SMB 1 and SMB 2 thing?

Reaction score
I learned a lot investigating this - EventViewer, Registry Editor - much more familiar with some of these low level processes ... however, nothing fixed it UNTIL I reloaded Windows completely. That did it. Fortunately, Microsoft has made it easier to do that in Windows 10. Now, all is well.

Reaction score
I am glad you got it working and I cannot judge the difference in configurations of different systems. My system is a Dell which came with Windows 10. The attachment shows the two services you were discussing. Maybe you will see something which will help.

I do not show a reference to SMB 1x which could just be a variation of the install. But the gears in the attachment designate the item as a service and the computer icons show it to be a driver. Check the attachment against what you are currently showing when the system is working to see if you notice anything.

ServBrow.JPG

Ask a Question