Network adapter goes offline periodically?

Reaction score
Around about two to three times a week my desktop computer goes offline and I have to restart it, troubleshooter says it's the network adapter, I have updated the driver in device manager but it's still happening? Then every so often it's not the adapter, it's the router that I have to restart? I have disabled Wi-Fi on my Netcom gigabit AC1200 router and run an ethernet cable to my desktop, just in case that has anything to do with this? I have changed the ethernet cable about 8 times and sprayed both the male and female gold connects with DeOxit Any help, suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to open Device Manager and check the Power Management tab for the device that is giving you problems.

PowerMgmtTab.JPG

Reaction score
Yep, I've done that on the Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet controller. Now I'll wait to see if it works? Thank you for your help. I will mark this solved if I don't get any dropouts in the next few days. Fingers crossed? lol

Reaction score
I was going to mark this solved tomorrow but it happened again just now, right out of the blue? Since I did the power management tweak, I haven't had any problems with the network adapter until now?

Reaction score
Solved!!! The network adapter problem has disappeared. only have the router dropping out every now and then. When the network adapter was the problem a restart of windows would fix it. On the other hand, if that didn't fix things, I would have to restart the router. I will start another thread for that. Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

Ask a Question