Networking 2 computers

Reaction score
I have a windows 10 and a windows 7 computer at home. Networking them together has failed miserably and I can find no help in the help file or on the web.
Can someone advise me the simplest way to share a folder between the two computers please? It really should be easy to do.

Reaction score
where to start - there are just so many things . but you're right in your general concern that in 2016 ... networking OUGHT NOT to be an issue (like printing, sound, and just about every other basic thing a computer needs to be and microsoft continually screws up) ... I AM NO EXPERT .. but I have 7 computers now at home (they keep having babies) .. and GENERALLY speaking have them connected .. so some random thoughts ..

1) You should be on the same workgroup
2) you shoud or could be on the same Homegroup
3) File sharing has to be set properly

All my computers are on win10 but I did have various versions at one time or another and still most of the time networked okay ..

when I get a new computer .. I join it to my workgroup (and homegroup but there might be some redundancy there)
and share the appropriate folders and mostly dont have any issues .. its that simple

then there are programs to keep them in sync (like BitTorrent) on the network and (sync.com) to keep them backup on the cloud (I hate that gimmicky word) .. but these things have there own issues and go beyond what you have asked about .

Its just every situation is different . hard to say what your issue is (and I havent talked about your router situation).

1) Create a (home) network.
2) make sure your computers are on the network
3) share the folders with appropraite permissions

(its possible that logging in with the same account on various computers may help reduce issues .. but I dont do that on all my machines and it isnt (and should not be) an issue)

you can ignore the router stuff and connect computers P2P with a networking cable .. today's network cards are generally smart enough to sort out the situation - but I havent done this in a long time .. would facilaite copying files back and forth ..

Reaction score
Assuming both machines are connected to the Internet via a router...that is they are on the same network.

You could use MS Onedrive or Dropbox ( a long standing and reliable system)
If your router has a media sharing USB port then plug a cheap drive into that and share. You'll want your network to be on GB ethernet for that to work really well.
You could turn on file and printer sharing and map a drive between the machines...you'll need a real logon and password and for them to be in the same workgroup or homegroup. Again, limited by network speed.
You could buy a couple a 32GB thumb drives and use sneakernet...don't laugh, that can be very quick if Wifi is the alternative.

I use all the above plus I have a separate NAS box.

Reaction score
Neither machine has a username and password assigned. Homegroups absolutely baffle me.
I mapped a network drive on the 7 machine, but had no clue how to share that to the 10 machine.
It's a bit ridiculous that it can't be achieved simply when both PC's are on the same router.
I found an old stick so just used that in the end but it would be so handy to be able to link them up...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Neither machine has a username and password assigned
Although not considered best practices, as a user name and password is generally consider a good idea when it comes to network sharing.....
It is absolutely doable.
Create a new folder on each computer
Be creative, give it a name, something like share or cher, although the second one might be trade marked or copyright protected IDK.
Right click it and choose properties,
Sharing tab, advanced sharing button, share it and set permissions to full control for the everyone group.
Security tab, same thing full control for the everyone group.
Drop whatever you want to share into that folder
From the other computer, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
\\ComputerName\ShareName (where computer name is the NetBIOS name of the other computer hosting the share)
hit enter
OR
\\192.168.1.xxx\ShareName (where 192.168.1.xxx is the IPV4 address of the other computer hosting the share)
hit enter

Reaction score
as Trouble suggests . if both PCs are connected to the router and each PC sees the other on the network .. then it should just be a matter of sharing what you want to share .. whether you create a new specific folder or one already existing - you open File Explorer .. navigate to the folder .. right click .. choose Properites, chose Sharing .. check Share this folder ..(on both computers for each to have access to the other) ...

Reaction score
Couldn't you use the public shared folder, it contains all of the sub folders; Documents, Photo's, Desktop, Downloads, Music... If you wish to share a folder, right click on the folder select share and choose the sharing rights.

Reaction score
Although not considered best practices, as a user name and password is generally consider a good idea when it comes to network sharing.....
It is absolutely doable.
Create a new folder on each computer
Be creative, give it a name, something like share or cher, although the second one might be trade marked or copyright protected IDK.
Right click it and choose properties,
Sharing tab, advanced sharing button, share it and set permissions to full control for the everyone group.
Security tab, same thing full control for the everyone group.
Drop whatever you want to share into that folder
From the other computer, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
\\ComputerName\ShareName (where computer name is the NetBIOS name of the other computer hosting the share)
hit enter
OR
\\192.168.1.xxx\ShareName (where 192.168.1.xxx is the IPV4 address of the other computer hosting the share)
hit enter
I only understand half this but will give it a go in the morning. Had enough of it now. F***ing windows...

Reaction score
I made a folder on the windows 10 machine, shared it, set permissions, saw it on the windows 7 machine, tried to access it, it said it could not connect. I shared the public users folder and when I tried to copy a file it said it needed permission, but I have no idea how to give that permission except to set permissions to everyone to read write etc

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are two areas where you must set permissions.
Share permissions under the sharing tab.... full control to the Everyone group
NTFS Security Permissions under the Security tab....... full control to the Everyone group.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows truly is as appalling as it has ever been
With respect to networking and sharing it is, with the exception of the addition of "Home Groups" (which kinda suck), is exactly the same "as it has ever been".
At least since Windows XP and the migration from fat32 (no security tab when sharing) to ntfs which added the ability to more granularly control how things are shared.

Ask a Question