Networking issue: wifi locks up but ethernet ok

Reaction score
It all started with the free Gigablast upgrade or perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade. Since then I have been having troubles with my Lenovo desktop. Here is some background and my wifi issue.

I can get 90+mbps on Speakeasy when using the Ethernet connection to the router. I get 80+mbps on my smartphone next to the computer. I get 5 bars signal strength on both the wireless single-band built-in wifi adapter and the netgear A6210 USB dual-band adapter. Both drivers are the latest versions in addition to Windows 10. Also, I had this problem with the Linksys 4200 router and now with the Netgear AC1750.

The WIFI problem is that when I connect I can start getting 2mbs on the USB adapter and up to 30mbps on the built-in adapter. However, subsequent tries time out or disconnect from the router. Sometimes after a period of time throughput will come back temporarily, but sometimes not. I have to disconnect and reconnect constantly to get any response from the web. Given the problem happens on two adapters, two WIFI routers and works on Ethernet, Seems like something in Windows 10 is the problem.

Reaction score
Last time I had issues with Wi-Fi the problem was corrected by installing a firmware update from the maker of the Router, haven't had the problem for a couple years since.

Ask a Question