New computers received in 10 S mode - wrong

Reaction score
Knowing I can't directly get a response from manufacturers such as HP, Lenovo, and so on that I need now - I'll ask it here. Why are brand new laptops (not sure about desktops yet) my customers purchase and have me set up for them are in Windows S mode after initial setup / activation? Where was the option to NOT go into S mode? FYI: S mode only permits installation of Windows apps from the Win Store. I get it -- but this should NOT be forced on the customer unless the end-user wants it!

Absolutely frustrating to my customers as well as me. My first customer was at college and couldn't do the work she needed to because her new laptop was in S mode - she couldn't even install Google Chrome browser. I couldn't get my TeamViewer support app to install on her computer to help as well (I'm only 225 miles from where she was at) --- I tried "over the phone" to help her with no luck. The steps to get out of S mode on her laptop continually failed to work. She eventually came home and dropped it off with me -- I re-imaged the computer and she was able to get working!

I suspected the NEW experience I learned from the college student would work on the next two customers complaining of the same issue -- I can't install my programs!!!!! The next two laptops (a Lenovo and an HP) were in "S" mode now. You have to login into Microsoft with the users' MS ID login in order to get S removed. Well -- even after this, I re-imaged the hard drive with a fresh Win 10 (1909) and lo and behold, the system was back in "S" mode which led me to believe the initial registration with MS was in S mode so on the re-activation with MS, that's what you get!

This is so wrong to force such a restriction on the customer. It's the same argument of "how far do you put Security measures in place to the point you can't do your work?

The option to NOT go into S mode should be there Microsoft -- or did I miss something? Anyone have any suggestions especially "pre-setup of Windows" steps that may stop this?

Respectfully,

Will Mangold

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

True and agree -- IF my customer first of all even knows about "S" mode is let alone see it advertised in the purchase of the laptop especially from Amazon.

I've read through the link you referred to on switching out of S mode (several times the first time I ran into "S" mode) The first time I ever encountered "S" mode was the college student last fall; her laptop did not provide the option(s) to get out of S as described (steps were greyed out on her laptop for whatever reason). The last two new laptops worked out OK getting out of S mode based on the technotes I found similar to what's in that link.

For what it's worth - I've been working computers for over 40 years now and tons of school-of-hard-knocks' experience with Windows -- and not sure your rant is directed toward me or Microsoft (hopefully the latter). Point here is I was looking for a way to prevent getting into S mode in the first place if there is such a way.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I started building computers with MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 after I had retired. Got one in the house I may Upgrade to WFW 3.11 if the floppies are still good. Been making money fixing computers since.

No, have not found a way to do it automatically, have to wait until the computer is up and running to make the change.

Reaction score
:) -- we must have worked together in our past lives! :) It's like I'm hearing myself based on your last response!
Retired Air Force 1994 (21 years) -- Corporate US work on the big stuff for too long.

Finally moved to nowhere northern MT (hometown) to get away from it all only to find people needed my help. I do like helping and know so well how frustrated they are thinking the system should just work!

I'm so looking forward t FULL retirement after this latest go around with Windows!

Again -- appreciate the feedback.

Side note: Not sure why my original 10 Forum account is gone. Had to create this one so it looks like I'm a newbie -- NOT! he heI

Reaction score
Retired late '94, FAA ATC. First permanent position Miles City 8 years, '63-'71.
Lol! We are drifting again! We have something in common,
Short career as pilot in the RAF, then 35 years as a (Brit) Atc,. I confess , a few years at the end in management

Reaction score
Short career as pilot in the RAF, then 35 years as a (Brit) Atc,. I confess , a few years at the end in management
My last 2 years were as site manager, office got closed 6 months later.

Reaction score
I found this link for anyone interested:

https://www.techradar.com/news/dont...be-able-to-disable-it-via-the-microsoft-store :)

I am not sure how old it is or even works today?. :rolleyes:

FYI: The link is still valid as to "process" of ridding the "S" mode after it's already in place. The goal of my post is find a possible solution to avoid getting into "S" mode 'before' a user first starts up the "manufacturer's" computer the first time.

Do note that you need a Microsoft ID login account (most my customers don't and didn't want one). Secondly, the process getting out of S mode "says" you're switched out, but are you really? <- The conspiracy brain asking that question here. I'm not insisting customer's provide me their MS ID login credentials before I even touch their computers.

2nd FYI: I just completed a re-image of my customer's new HP laptop to wipe it totally clean (i.e., all partitions shipped with, etc.) after getting it switched out of S. I verified that in fact it returned to "S" mode with Microsoft with the validation process. I ran my steps to switch it out of S mode to get it back to normal mode. And, I know my ISO file does not put new computers I build for customers into "S" mode so I'm positive that the initial activation process under "S" mode is registered with Microsoft and any re-image will bring that switch back when re-imaged/activated.

Cheers.

Ask a Question