New e-mail

Reaction score
Seeing that MS is soon to drop support of WLM, does anyone know of a free e-mail i can access that will enable me to use my current address (verizon.net is the domain). There is Outlook.Com but that uses my MS account.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could use the Windows 10 default Mail app - it's fairly good and will work with almost all e-mail server types (Verizon.net included).

If you'd like something a little more traditional, then perhaps Thunderbird would be a good match (it's free):
https://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/

From what I can tell, your e-mail server settings (which may be needed) are as follows:
  • Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

Reaction score
I've just recently switched to Thunderbird myself. I don't have a Verizon account, so I don't know for sure the answer to the question. I can tell you Thunderbird works with Outlook and Gmail accounts. So I don't see why it wouldn't work with Verizon.

Reaction score
As I understand it, WLM will still accept and send mail for all present accounts, except Outlook.com. They are discontinuing the server for that single process.

But, I am a WLM user, but, being cautious, I have investigated other possibilities. MsOutlook was one, which is excellent. I found Windows 10 Mail App, as Ian says, very good and easy to setup. But it does lack many facilities (Most of which I do not use anyway!)
I have found, irrelevant perhaps for this thread, that the sync between the three is remarkable. Everything is duplicated on all.

Reaction score
I have found, irrelevant perhaps for this thread, that the sync between the three is remarkable. Everything is duplicated on all.
On the topic of sync, I noticed every change I made in Thunderbird while setting it up was automatically synced in WLM.

Reaction score
Seeing that MS is soon to drop support of WLM, does anyone know of a free e-mail i can access that will enable me to use my current address (verizon.net is the domain). There is Outlook.Com but that uses my MS account.

I think you need to understand more about email. WLM is an email client just like Outlook (Not outlook.com). The Ourtlook that comes in MS Office along with Thunderbird. Outlook and Thunderbird are desktop WIN32 email clients. With Windows 8 and Windows 10 new modern email clients are out their that can be downloaded from the store. Basically these clients work with any email providers and you just have to configure the In coming mail server and the outgoing server (SMTP) and gives ports and stuff but that should be given to you by you email provider.

Also you can access you email through a web browser just by typing the address supplied to you by your email provider.

Alos there are clients that are specifically just for a certain email provider like AOL, GMAIL and Yahoo. WLM allowed you to set up multiple accounts for each of your mail providers like AOL, and your verizon can be used in the same client to view mail. The Windows 10 mail app allows you to use multiple email accounts.

FInally there are basically 2 types of email POP3 and IMAP. POP3 is where you mail comes to your providers incoming mail server and when you login the mail is downloaded by your client to your PC. I have a POP3 account that I use Outlook (from Office) and it downloads when I run Outlook. I also have it go to my phone. IMAP email accounts like Gmail your client doesn't download the emails to your PC and you view them on your providers server. SO if you delete the email your deleting for the server. POP3 if you delete your deleing the local emails on your machine and it you don't have it set to delete on the server they will remain there.

I have a POP3 account from Bright House Networks and they have a link that I can go into a browser and go directly to the server (it doesn't download the email) and it works like IMAP and if I delete it deletes from the server.

Ask a Question