SOLVED New W10 PC slow internet download speeds

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a US or Australian forum. If US my reference to NBN is Australia's attempt to roll out a fibre-optic network to replace extensively copper-based ADSL2+ network. So my query is:

My NBN broadband plan is for 100Mbps and the NBN engineer measured 120Mbps at the kerbside pit outside my house. Other devices in my home - Android phones, Foxtel IQ3 box - seem to manage an average of around 85Mbps. My old W7 laptop also managed around 85Mbps via wifi and around 95Mbps via Ethernet to my router/model (NetComm NF18ACV). My new W10 Dell Inspiron can't manage more than 45Mbps whether via wifi or ethernet. Any ideas???

Reaction score
How many systems do you have on at the same time... since it does have QoS settings.

Reaction score
So. Download Ubuntu to a thumb drive and see what it can manage using your laptop.

Reaction score
On my 100 Mbps system, I usually got 110 during speed tests, so you may have some restriction internally on you network to start with. But Dells have, for quite a while been shipped with software that manages bandwidth called SmartByte.

It is part of some systems with the special Cinema video options and can be loaded on other systems. If that were the reason, does it hurt your normal operations for it to be in place? For instance, video streaming may be 10 Mbps so it may not be effected but only you would know.

Reaction score
Many sites only deliver a certain speed, not every one gives you the max ... it is called bandwidth restriction. and almost all have QoS which is set a 10% to 20%.

Reaction score
On my 100 Mbps system, I usually got 110 during speed tests, so you may have some restriction internally on you network to start with. But Dells have, for quite a while been shipped with software that manages bandwidth called SmartByte.

It is part of some systems with the special Cinema video options and can be loaded on other systems. If that were the reason, does it hurt your normal operations for it to be in place? For instance, video streaming may be 10 Mbps so it may not be effected but only you would know.
Deleted SmartByte, as I don't often video stream on my laptop (that's what my smart TV is for). Hey Presto! My wifi download is now up to 91 Mbps. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Glad it helped and can be marked as answered.. Because the software is part of the Cinema package, it may be reloaded at some point through normal updates. None of my Dell systems have the Cinema software so I don't have experience with that part.

Ask a Question