SOLVED W10 very slow to launch apps

Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks my PC has become very slow often taking up to 10 seconds to launch an app or get a response. I have installed the latest updates. If I run Task Manager I see that WMI Provider Host is often at 60-85% CPU utilisation. On the performance graph the CPU is up and down like a sawtooth. I have tried the basic trouble-shooting recommendations but see no improvement.
Any ideas on where to start looking?
I'm running W10 1909, on a DELL Inspiron 545 with 4GB RAM, circa 2009. Yes I know it's 10 years old but it was working reasonably well up to recently.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Loughlini,

One of my computers is 15 years old and still purring with Windows 10 version 1909.

I found this answer on the Microsoft Community Forum, and thought you might like to try it out, as it may help you identify why the WMI Provider Host is consuming so much CPU. If you can identify the process causing this issue, then you have the option to decide whether you try disabling or removing that process to resolve the issue.

Take a look and see what you think:

After opening this page, scroll down a few inches to see the Answer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks my PC has become very slow often taking up to 10 seconds to launch an app or get a response. I have installed the latest updates. If I run Task Manager I see that WMI Provider Host is often at 60-85% CPU utilisation. On the performance graph the CPU is up and down like a sawtooth. I have tried the basic trouble-shooting recommendations but see no improvement.
Any ideas on where to start looking?
I'm running W10 1909, on a DELL Inspiron 545 with 4GB RAM, circa 2009. Yes I know it's 10 years old but it was working reasonably well up to recently.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
you mite trying to defrag your system or invest money in a software called PC tune up . I did and have had for years every week or so I run tune up. It fines mad entries in registry and broken links especially are a up date. Shuts down start up items that are slowing down my system. My PC tune up is from AVG it is part of my Ultimate package antivirus

Reaction score
Hi Loughlini,

One of my computers is 15 years old and still purring with Windows 10 version 1909.

I found this answer on the Microsoft Community Forum, and thought you might like to try it out, as it may help you identify why the WMI Provider Host is consuming so much CPU. If you can identify the process causing this issue, then you have the option to decide whether you try disabling or removing that process to resolve the issue.

Take a look and see what you think:

After opening this page, scroll down a few inches to see the Answer.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks. I methodically worked through the recommendations but it's not fixed. I identified the process causing high CPU (SW Update Service) which pointed me towards my printer drivers. I reloaded/updated them but I think it was a false trail, I'm wondering if it's a problem with W10 itself. There's lots of chatter about slow CPU with W10 update services.
I'm reluctant to use PC Tune-Up utilities since they have downloaded virusses and PUPs in the past. CCleaner takes care of most things.
Getting to the point where I can't spend much more time on it, but I do need my PC to do useful work. Maybe I'll have to invest in a tune-up tool and take the hit with consequences.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you using a Samsung Printer?

I did a quick Google on SW Update Service, as is this is a non-native Service to Windows, and could only find references to Samsung's SWMAgent.exe which can include Printer drivers.

If that is causing an issue with the WMI Provider Host, it shouldn't result in a total System retardation of apps opening.

I personally, would not bother with any third party Tune-up applications, given Windows is more than capable of handling itself.

Something you could do, is to download the Windows 10 ISO matching your current install, and install it ( choosing to keep files and settings ). That may resolve any issues such as a corrupted system file, or built-in Windows apps.

Reaction score
Are you using a Samsung Printer?

I did a quick Google on SW Update Service, as is this is a non-native Service to Windows, and could only find references to Samsung's SWMAgent.exe which can include Printer drivers.

If that is causing an issue with the WMI Provider Host, it shouldn't result in a total System retardation of apps opening.

I personally, would not bother with any third party Tune-up applications, given Windows is more than capable of handling itself.

Something you could do, is to download the Windows 10 ISO matching your current install, and install it ( choosing to keep files and settings ). That may resolve any issues such as a corrupted system file, or built-in Windows apps.

That's very interesting. I was using an old ML-1665 Samsung printer which is now listed as unsupported in W10 yet it was working perfectly for printing out the odd letter. SWMAgent.exe was one of the services pointed to by analysing WMI Provider Host so eventually I removed that printer and all its drivers etc so it's no longer on my PC. It didn 't make any difference to the High CPU usage of WMI-PH. I'll look to see if there are any instances of SWMAgent.exe still running. Samsung printers have been taken over my HP and you need to look at HP's support pages for Samsung printers. I guess thay are less than eager to support obsolete non-HP printers however they have a Samsung Print Driver v3.0 that I can download and install. I thought I would try to fix the underlying problem before re-installing the printer to avoid confusion.
I'll look at Windows ISO. Don't know what that is so I'll need to learn it.

Reaction score
There could be multiple reasons to be slow Windows 10, some of them listed here:
  • Too many startup programs.
  • Some Windows system files may be corrupted.
  • Running many programs at once.
  • Less hard drive storage space. etc.
Resolve these issues and OS will be fast.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'll look at Windows ISO. Don't know what that is so I'll need to learn it.

You can download it here using the second option on page: Download tool now which downloads Microsoft's Media Creation tool, which when run, allows you to choose a Windows 10 version to download as an ISO.

This is an Article on our Forum by @Ian on how to download an ISO:

Reaction score
Fixed. I deleted Garmin Express and all its programs/files etc. It now works fine, like a new PC.
I am however frustrated. Given that Windows has Task Manager & Event Viewer and other tools they were unable to point me in the right direction. I had to resort to old-fashioned troubleshooting techniques.
Under Task Manager / Startup: I disabled each startup entry in turn to see if it would make a difference.
Garmin was last on the list but when I disabled it and restarted my PC the CPU usage retuned to its low normal level.
I then completely uninstalled Garmin Express and all its files in the Garmin folder(s).
I let my PC run for a couple of days to confirm it was OK then re-installed all my printers and other Startup items. Still OK.
I then re-installed Garmin Express and it immediately fell over with high CPU usage.
Googling possible problems, I found an issue with the .Net framework version. I am using the latest v48 which came with the last W10 update which should work OK with Garmin.
Maybe there is an issue here especially if other people are having no problems with Garmin Express. I have run out of time so I deleted Garmin for the final time.

Ask a Question