Newly Built Gaming PC gets a Solid Blue Screen after Patch Tuesday

Reaction score
  • I built a gaming PC on windows 10 64 bit and it’s been working fine for 3 weeks. This past Tuesday (Could be coincidental i guess) there were patches and now all i get is a solid blue screen. No errors, just a solid blue screen (and 2 black screens because there are 2 other monitors). I can move the cursor around just fine, but can’t do anything else. I can’t get it into safe mode even. Nothing happens. It’s POSTS fine and I can change BIOS UEFI settings but that is about it.

When I insert the windows 10 USB drive, i get some options of course. The “repair” does no good. Says drive windows is on is locked. Startup repair doesn’t find any issues, I am pretty sure this is a windows issue and not a hardware issue but i’m open to suggestions. Obviously don’t want to reload it if possible but of course will if I have too.

The system is on SSD’s for everything too. Asus Z97 motherboard, 16gb of ram, GTX960 blah blah. Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe we have a member with some experience with similar hardware / windows 10 / multiple monitors.
I'm going to PM him now and see if his board is the same as yours and maybe he'll share his experience.
I don't know if everything is identical or not but it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
As Trouble knows I am not running Windows 10 on my multi-monitor system because of BSODs. Since I am not really clear on exactly what type of Blue Screen you are seeing it is hard to judge. Perhaps an initial step would be to disconnect the other monitors for testing.

I do know there have been WDDM updates lately which may have caused a problem. If you can get into safe mode, you might try uninstalling the drivers for the NVidia adapter and let it revert back to the Microsoft basic drivers.

How were your three monitors configured?

Reaction score
As Trouble knows I am not running Windows 10 on my multi-monitor system because of BSODs. Since I am not really clear on exactly what type of Blue Screen you are seeing it is hard to judge. Perhaps an initial step would be to disconnect the other monitors for testing.

I do know there have been WDDM updates lately which may have caused a problem. If you can get into safe mode, you might try uninstalling the drivers for the NVidia adapter and let it revert back to the Microsoft basic drivers.

How were your three monitors configured?

Its a blank blue screen...literally. You can move the cursor around but that is it. Happens even if only 1 monitor is connected as well like right now. I actually built this for someone else and it was running fine. I found out moreinformation this morning from the owner.

It seems the kids were playing on it tuesday night and instead of a "shutdown" they have been hard powering it off. I think what did it in was the patching process never finished tuesday night. I am pretty sure the hardware is fine. I'm trying to fix the bootrecord now but nothing is working. I was going off these links.

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-master-boot-record-corrupted

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-the-boot-configuration-data-file-is-missing-some-required-information

I'm hoping i don't have to reload it but so far, it may be the best option. There is a 500gb SSD and a 2tb drive in it. I've also got a spare 256 ssd i was planning on installing in something else that I could use if needed. It just came in yesterday.

Basically, i'm open to suggestions! Thanks again!

Reaction score
When you get a message about the Windows drive being locked, it may be referring to a different version of the OS. Was the original recovery drive done using 10586 and that is the one you installed with?

A solid blue screen would seem to indicate the recovery options are not available so possibly something has been corrupted due to the power downs.

If you get the Recovery Drive situation straightened out, you may be able to get to the Startup repair options which might help. If not a clean install with 10586 may be best.

Reaction score
When you get a message about the Windows drive being locked, it may be referring to a different version of the OS. Was the original recovery drive done using 10586 and that is the one you installed with?

A solid blue screen would seem to indicate the recovery options are not available so possibly something has been corrupted due to the power downs.

If you get the Recovery Drive situation straightened out, you may be able to get to the Startup repair options which might help. If not a clean install with 10586 may be best.
Its the same install USB for sure. Whether its the same build or not, i'm not sure.

I'm half tempted to just reload the stupid thing to get it out of my house...lol

Reaction score
I caved and decided to just reload the darn thing. For sure caused by the kids force powering it off with the power button. :mad:

Ask a Question