No admin options- tried the "Run" app and "Command Prompt" no luck..

Reaction score
So I attempted to remove the stupid passwords using the "Run" app and entering "netplwiz". I somehow managed to instead remove my admin options and the password is still in effect... I attempted to go back to the "Run" app but when it asks if I would like this app to make changes to my computer, the only option is "No". Yes is grayed out and there is no place to put a password.

I also tried the Command Prompt. I right click and choose "Run as Admin", it again asks if I would like to make changes and the only option is "No". So I tried typing "net user administrator /active:yes" I get access denied system error 5.

I have tried logging out of the current account, but it looks like the current account is the only account on the computer. I can't even run my virus protection because it asks to make changes to the computer and "No" is the only option. I tried Windows support but they referred me to technical support and the wait is over 3 hours. Any ideas?? TIA

Reaction score
Have you attempted to create a New Account on the system and give it Admin privileges? If successful, try logging into it and altering the old one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Or perhaps a system restore to a point in time prior to you having made the changes above?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Boot from the installation media
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from which you should be able to select system restore.

CommandPrompt.JPG

Ask a Question