No Headphone Sounds

Reaction score
Hi y'all
I have a Dell Laptop Inspiron N5030. I am not computer literate so please no lengthy gobbledygook . I have taken advantage to upgrade to W10 from W7. The sounds works fine from the laptop but when the headphone is plugged in, I get no sound through the phones. Is it because my laptop is old or what? I have tried looking in sound settings but have been unable to get the h/phone to work or indeed external speakers as well. I'm assuming it is a driver issue?

I would be grateful for help over this otherwise I will have to revert back to 7.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Did the headset work prior to the upgrade? Go to Dells website and download the latest sound driver for your make/model laptop.

Also see if there is a BIOS update available, if so update the BIOS.

Reaction score
Did the headset work prior to the upgrade? Go to Dells website and download the latest sound driver for your make/model laptop.

Also see if there is a BIOS update available, if so update the BIOS.
Thanks for getting back to me but what is BIOS?, told you I was a numpty!

Reaction score
Bassfisher6522
I went on the Dell website and it seems that my Dell laptop is not able to upgrade to W10. So I would like to thank you for your help and advice but it's seems to have been in vain.

Reaction score
But from what you say you have upgraded to W10

If you right click on the speaker icon and select playback devices do you see two entries? One will have a green tick and will be your INTERNAL speakers if they are working, If there is a second device it may say something like Line Out and that would be the headphone socket most likely. If there are two it is certainly worth plugging in the headphones, selecting that 2nd thing as default and see if you get sound...may have to go to a box called configure or properties or both and try some settings.

Ask a Question