SOLVED Headphone Amplifier

WHL

Reaction score
I'm very deaf so I only listen to audio on my two computers and TV set through a headphone.
I have the volume on each device turned up full power when I use the headphone but the sound still isn't loud enough.
Is there a reasonably priced amplifier that I could use with the headphones?

Reaction score
Hi WHL,

open System Settings > Devices > Related settings > Sound settings > Playback > Properties Enhancements and play with it a tad!. :)

sound.JPG

WHL

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Wolfie.
I've played around with the settings a wee bit but every volume control is set at its highest.
The sound is still insufficient for me.
I'm really looking for an amplifier which would be placed between my computer/tv and the headphones.
That way I can plug in the amplifier to any device and use its volume control.

WHL

Reaction score
I saw these two amplifiers online and I'm wondering if any of them would do the job.
I'm hoping someone else on this forum is as deaf as me and what do they do to listen to audio.

hp.jpg

hp01.jpg

Reaction score
I am sure those amplifiers will do the trick but will your headphones survive??
What kind of headphones do you have??

Bif

Reaction score
I'm very deaf so I only listen to audio on my two computers and TV set through a headphone.
I have the volume on each device turned up full power when I use the headphone but the sound still isn't loud enough.
Is there a reasonably priced amplifier that I could use with the headphones?
I don't know of an amplifier per-say but there are some very good in ear buds that isolate much of the ambient sounds and direct 95% of the generated sound/music directly into the ear canal..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For anything as personally critical as devices to augment sense impairment you really need to do some research on boards and in communities that target and address such disabilities as they would likely have members with some specific experience and recommendations.
This is a general Windows 10 forum and while our membership is pretty broad and we may have some members with specific recommendations for you, it is still incumbent on you to do your due diligence and use general product reviews as well as more specific product owners reviews to pick something the really works well.

There are no doubt many products out there, but I suspect, in those..... there is a considerable percentage of junk.
Personally, I'm still looking for a desktop, external USB 3.0, multiport hub that actually works, externally powered or not.
So far I've purchased two and both are "junk".

WHL

Reaction score
I am sure those amplifiers will do the trick but will your headphones survive??
What kind of headphones do you have??
I have a cheap pair of Goji headphones for my computers and a decent Phillips one with a lo-o-o-ng lead for my TV.

Reaction score
WHL Would you happen to wear hearing aids? Most hearing aids, TV's and PCs today are Bluetooth enabled for wireless communication, TV, Cell Phones... As Bif mentioned there are some excellent ear buds that produce premium quality sound + volume and microphone control.

WHL

Reaction score
For anything as personally critical as devices to augment sense impairment you really need to do some research on boards and in communities that target and address such disabilities as they would likely have members with some specific experience and recommendations.
This is a general Windows 10 forum and while our membership is pretty broad and we may have some members with specific recommendations for you, it is still incumbent on you to do your due diligence and use general product reviews as well as more specific product owners reviews to pick something the really works well.

There are no doubt many products out there, but I suspect, in those..... there is a considerable percentage of junk.
Personally, I'm still looking for a desktop, external USB 3.0, multiport hub that actually works, externally powered or not.
So far I've purchased two and both are "junk".
And that is why I started this thread in the hope that someone could recommend a solution to my problem.
It's no big deal.
I'll probably end up buying one of the amplifiers I posted.
If it works then fine.
If it doesn't then I'm out 30 quid.

WHL

Reaction score
WHL Would you happen to wear hearing aids? Most hearing aids, TV's and PCs today are Bluetooth enabled for wireless communication, TV, Cell Phones... As Bif mentioned there are some excellent ear buds that produce premium quality sound + volume and microphone control.
I have a hearing aid but I find it very annoying.
I walk down the street or in a supermarket and the noise is deafening - everything is amplified.
I told the hospital staff that I am quite content in my own wee world.
That's why I'm a loner and not a social person :(

I had earbuds like Bif mentioned with the volume control and they worked for while but I suspect my hearing has got worse and I think an amplifier might do the trick.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it works then fine.
If it doesn't then I'm out 30 quid.
Keep us posted as to how that works out for you.
In the meantime perhaps some member or visiting guest may have something to add.
IF not then please let us know what you found as it will likely prove beneficial to others googling around trying to find a potential solution.
Thanks
Randy

WHL

Reaction score
Keep us posted as to how that works out for you.
In the meantime perhaps some member or visiting guest may have something to add.
IF not then please let us know what you found as it will likely prove beneficial to others googling around trying to find a potential solution.
Thanks
Randy
Will do :)

Reaction score
I have a hearing aid but I find it very annoying.
I walk down the street or in a supermarket and the noise is deafening - everything is amplified.
I told the hospital staff that I am quite content in my own wee world.
That's why I'm a loner and not a social person :(

I had earbuds like Bif mentioned with the volume control and they worked for while but I suspect my hearing has got worse and I think an amplifier might do the trick.

WHL If you find your hearing aid annoying, go back and have it set up to a comfortable level to compensate for your db loss.

WHL

Reaction score
WHL If you find your hearing aid annoying, go back and have it set up to a comfortable level to compensate for your db loss.
I tried that over the years but it's difficult to compensate for say traffic noise, then supermarket chatter then a quiet room.
I'm quite content living in my own wee (silent) world.
If someone speaks to me I usually smile and nod my head.
That usually works :D

@WHL,
I've done some looking for you and although this article is dated, at least it will give you some idea as to what might be available...Hope it helps!

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-portable-headphone-amplifiers-1722800379
Thanks for that Bif, I do like the curiously strong mints amplifier.
But I went on to Amazon and ordered this wee amplifier.
Apparently it is powered by battery from a usb port.
I collect it from an Amazon Locker tomorrow.
Watch this space :)

topping.jpg

Bif

Reaction score
Glad that you found something that'll work for you WHL!..
I knew nothing about these before your post but now I'm educated..love this forum!...I'm always learning something new..

Reaction score
WHL I know what you mean about hearing aids being over powering. I actually turn mine off if I'm in a large gathering of people, it's just too much, the acoustics sound like your in an empty 45 gallon oil drum.
I'm glad you found something. Let us know how it works out for you.

WHL

Reaction score
Glad that you found something that'll work for you WHL!..
I knew nothing about these before your post but now I'm educated..love this forum!...I'm always learning something new..
:)

WHL I know what you mean about hearing aids being over powering. I actually turn mine off if I'm in a large gathering of people, it's just too much, the acoustics sound like your in an empty 45 gallon oil drum.
I'm glad you found something. Let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks.
I've always been bothered with my ears.
Cold wind or water and I get the earache.
I've found that keeping a hearing aid in my ear for several hours hardens the inside of my ear and again I get the earache.
As you say, the noise can be overpowering so I'm quite happy to be deaf and live in my own wee world.
Tomorrow will tell me if I have bought an appropriate amplifier.
Watch this space :D

Reaction score
I suffered a perforated eardrum due to a low immune system, I am deaf in my left ear and had the eardrum cut out and still suffer ear discharge. I know what you mean about cold wind in the ear @WHL because I go giddy if I get a blast of air in the ear channel!.

I am not only slow but partially deaf!. Maybe I should add that to my profile?. :)

Ask a Question