No Product Key after Clean Install

Reaction score
Vieux,
We are going in circles. Take a deep breath. Then read this.

1. Go back to you mismatched Win 8.1.
2. Use this link and create installation media for Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
Please read the whole page so you know what to do.
3. Insert a DVD or a USB, then click the Create Media button.
You will be ask to choose ..................................
Language , select English (United States ),
Edition ( Win 8.1 version, Home or Pro ), make sure you take the same version you started with.
and bit version ( 32-bit or 64-bit ), also make sure you take the same bit version you started with.
click Next
select either USB drive or ISO file ( read what it says about ISO file option )
click Next
then follow the instructions to finish.

After you've created the installation media, do one of the following to install Windows 8.1:

• Connect the USB flash drive to the PC where you want to install Windows 8.1, browse to it in File Explorer, and then open the setup.exe file. Follow the instructions in setup.

• If your PC is set up to boot from a USB drive, connect the USB flash drive to the PC where you want to install Windows 8.1, restart (reboot) it, and then follow the instructions in setup.

• If your PC is set up boot from the DVD drive, insert the DVD into your PC, restart (reboot) it, and then follow the instructions in setup.
Thank you for these clear instructions. One question before proceeding: why couldn't I do this using my Windows 8.1 DVD running set up from within Windows 10? Wouldn't 8.1 give any option to format C: for installing 8.1
Also as I do not now seem to be able to access BIOS, thanks to the Windows 10 media installation, how can I tell what my PC is set up to boot from? Currently it doesn't seem to want to boot from the W10 Recovery USB key I recently created.

Reaction score
I need you to go back to the mismatch version. NOT the French version.
Are you able to do that ?

I gave you an instruction before, and I'll repeat here so you don't have to go back to page 1......
Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Recovery.
Do you see and option " Go back to Windows 8.1 " ?
I don't mean the option to Reset.
If yes, please click the Get started button under Go back to Windows 8.1

Also as I do not now seem to be able to access BIOS
My instruction on Media Creation Tool is to create an ISO ( please read that part again ).
This method does not need you to go to Bios.
After your ISO is created > right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I need you to go back to the mismatch version. NOT the French version.
Are you able to do that ?

I gave you an instruction before, and I'll repeat here so you don't have to go back to page 1......
Start button > Settings > Update & Security > left side, click Recovery.
Do you see and option " Go back to Windows 8.1 " ?
I don't mean the option to Reset.
If yes, please click the Get started button under Go back to Windows 8.1

My instruction on Media Creation Tool is to create an ISO ( please read that part again ).
This method does not need you to go to Bios.
After your ISO is created > right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.

I'm sorry but the mismatch version of 8.1 has b

Reaction score
I'm sorry but the mismatch version of 8.1 has b

I ran the SETUP on the USB 8.1 installation media downloaded from M$. Then entered Product Key which was accepted. Then ACCEPTED the licence agreement & the Install then put up a message "SOMETHING IS WRONG:
Setup has failed to determine supported install choices".

Very helpful message from M$

Reaction score
I apologize wasting your time.
I have no more ideas.
Sorry.

No need to apologise, it was good to try various options and it's all a learning experience.
Seems like I have 3 options:
1. Give M$ 100GBP to activate Windows 10
2. Carry on regardless until Windows 10 bombs out or whatever
3. Scrap Windows 10 and join the Mint Linux fraternity.

Option 1 - am not happy to give M$ any money for a product that I am entitled to free of charge. They haven't had the goodness to reply to my emails for help and the Asian gentleman at the end of the Activation Help telephone line was able to confirm my 8.1 was genuine but could not advise on the Activation Key required for W10. He said he would transfer me to the Technical Team and I waited over 10 minutes with no one responding.

Option 2 - from my searches it would seem that W10 does not behave in the same way as previous Windows versions regarding activation. There is no cut-off date by which it must be activated. Instead with a genuine but inactivated copy you cannot personalize W10 nor can you run Cortona. There is not enough information publicly available currently to know for sure whether there are other consequences of remaining inactivated.

Option 3 - the only thing that is holding me back from this option is to know whether some apps will run correctly or if not is there a good alternative app available on Mint Linux. Need to do further investigation.

Ask a Question