No Sound. Not even an icon.

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10 four days ago. At that time I lost audio. Once I rebooted it came back. Last night when I shut down, Windows indicated it was doing an update.

Today (even after rebooting) I have no audio. Not even a sound icon in the system tray. When I go through Properties to turn those icons on or off the Sound option is grayed back.

I have a Lenovo G570 laptop. I use the built in speakers. When I go to the Control Panel those speakers are still shown as the default speakers.

When I check Device Manager and search for Driver Updates I get a a message that the drivers are up to date.

What gives???

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose device manager.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers
Is your sound card there? IF so what is the status or its' properties? Does it mention any problems? Do you have an option to roll back the driver?

Reaction score
"When I check Device Manager and search for Driver Updates I get a a message that the drivers are up to date."

Reaction score
1) Make sure you are connected to the internet

2) Do into Device Manager and Uninstall the Sound Driver. Do not simply Disable it, if you have a bad driver, you must get rid of it and then replace it.

3) Reboot your computer. When it finds, on reboot, that it does not have a sound driver, it will search for the correct driver and install it

Please tell us if this works or not

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10 four days ago. At that time I lost audio. Once I rebooted it came back. Last night when I shut down, Windows indicated it was doing an update.

Today (even after rebooting) I have no audio. Not even a sound icon in the system tray. When I go through Properties to turn those icons on or off the Sound option is grayed back.

I have a Lenovo G570 laptop. I use the built in speakers. When I go to the Control Panel those speakers are still shown as the default speakers.

When I check Device Manager and search for Driver Updates I get a a message that the drivers are up to date.

What gives???

This solution works to me today Dec 11 2015, after W10 update:

1. Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.

2. Select Driver tab.

3. Click Update Driver... button.

4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.

5. Select -> Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.

6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.

Appears Warning message, but reply Yes.

7. ! Windows has successfully update your driver software.

Key is step 6.

Thanks

Original post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/570a5038-e48e-43f3-af75-95da61447c87?auth=1

Ask a Question