No sound when skyping

Reaction score
Hi there,
I bought a new notebook last week with windows 10 already installed. What really bothers me is that whenever I make a skype call (or use a similar program like teamspeak), the sound of either programs is either lowered or completely gone.
I already tried changing the sound setting in "communication" to "do nothing", which is also the only advice I found online but nothing changed at all. Also tried changing some skype settings but didn't work. And since I have the same problem when using teamspeak it should have something to do with windows settings.
It's also weird that is seems to lower youtube to like 50% volume and my game's volume to pretty much 0%.
Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
What are you using to create the sound, speakers or a headset of some sort. Is that device designated as a Default Communications Device or Default Device in the sound Playback options?

Do you have another control panel, such as a Realtek one in the hidden icons or the Control Panel?

Reaction score
So... I had actually tried using both my notebook speakers and a headset (Philips SHB7000). There seemed to be the same problem thought, when I used my notebook speakers, volume went down to like 50% or 20% from the original and when I used my headset, the volume was gone completely. I actually fixed my headset problems somehow, though I'm not too sure what exactly the problem was. It had showed two versions of my headset in the Playback options, one was just my "headset" and the other one was set as my "communication device" or something like that. I disconnected the "communication device" one and suddenly my headset worked perfectly and doesn't change the volume anymore at all.
My volume still gets reduced though when I use my notebooks speakers, even though it should actually "do nothing". But I guess I can live with that. Thanks for replying though!

Reaction score
I asked my Grandson who is an avid Skype user and gamer. He said that Win 10 has the newer version of Skype and maybe your hardware and or drivers is the issue. He uses Turtle Beach Bluetooth headset for gaming and Skype. No problems with Windows 10 Home version.

Ask a Question