No start menu, Left button on mouse does not work

Reaction score
I am not savvy with computers. Two weeks after the installation of Windows 10, the left button stopped working on one of the two accounts on my laptop. I can't get my start button, Start menu, icons on my desktop. Have tried sfc/scanow, DISM.exe/online/cleanup-image/scanhealth & many of the remediesfrom the net with no luck. Surprisingly the second profile on the computer is working fine. Can someone help me? Is there a fix? I am at a point of returning to windows 8.1

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-30_16-23-5.png
    upload_2015-8-30_16-23-5.png
    802.6 KB · Views: 927
Reaction score
I am not savvy with computers. Two weeks after the installation of Windows 10, the left button stopped working on one of the two accounts on my laptop. I can't get my start button, Start menu, icons on my desktop. Have tried sfc/scanow, DISM.exe/online/cleanup-image/scanhealth & many of the remediesfrom the net with no luck. Surprisingly the second profile on the computer is working fine. Can someone help me? Is there a fix? I am at a point of returning to windows 8.1
i cannot get start page with either cursor or windows button

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try restarting you computer in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.
IF it does, then you may have an issue with your or a particular profile only and you'll need to investigate further by creating a new User as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and test to see if that new user account exhibits the same issues.

Reaction score
Always try the simplest fixes first. I'm glad I did before attempting the mind-numbing convoluted solutions people love to come up with on forums like these. Among all the responses I found on the Internet, the simplest was this: Uninstall anti-virus, restart the computer, and reinstall the anti-virus. Success.

Just so you know, I had Windows 10 on my laptop for a few months and then all of a sudden the left-click didn't work on my Start button and on other icons in the system tray. By hovering over the Start button using my mouse with one hand, and then left-clicking using the laptop touchpad with my other hand, I was able to open the Control Panel and connect to the Internet. Then, I went to PandaSecurity.com, scrolled to the bottom of their home page, and in the footer, clicked "Free Antivirus 2016," followed the links to the download, and downloaded the totally free program to my hard drive.

I then went back to the Control Panel and uninstalled the free copy of Panda Antivirus that I already had on my laptop (to which I have a large-screen monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up). I also made sure that no other antivirus programs were still on my machine, like my expired copy of Norton 360. When I restarted my computer, my mouse worked just fine. I hopped back on the Internet and reinstalled Panda Antivirus from my newly downloaded copy, and that was a success, too, and my mouse still worked fine. I ran the Panda program, selecting to scan only the critical areas, and in a few minutes it scanned 73,000 files, and deleted a cookie. Mouse still worked fine. To make sure, I shut down my computer. Waited a minute. Started it back up. Everything fine.

Again, always try the simplest fixes first.

Reaction score
Always try the simplest fixes first. I'm glad I did before attempting the mind-numbing convoluted solutions people love to come up with on forums like these. Among all the responses I found on the Internet, the simplest was this: Uninstall anti-virus, restart the computer, and reinstall the anti-virus. Success.

Just so you know, I had Windows 10 on my laptop for a few months and then all of a sudden the left-click didn't work on my Start button and on other icons in the system tray. By hovering over the Start button using my mouse with one hand, and then left-clicking using the laptop touchpad with my other hand, I was able to open the Control Panel and connect to the Internet. Then, I went to PandaSecurity.com, scrolled to the bottom of their home page, and in the footer, clicked "Free Antivirus 2016," followed the links to the download, and downloaded the totally free program to my hard drive.

I then went back to the Control Panel and uninstalled the free copy of Panda Antivirus that I already had on my laptop (to which I have a large-screen monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up). I also made sure that no other antivirus programs were still on my machine, like my expired copy of Norton 360. When I restarted my computer, my mouse worked just fine. I hopped back on the Internet and reinstalled Panda Antivirus from my newly downloaded copy, and that was a success, too, and my mouse still worked fine. I ran the Panda program, selecting to scan only the critical areas, and in a few minutes it scanned 73,000 files, and deleted a cookie. Mouse still worked fine. To make sure, I shut down my computer. Waited a minute. Started it back up. Everything fine.

Again, always try the simplest fixes first.
I'm having the same problem (and so are hundreds of other people), but I don't have a third-party antivirus, only Essentials.

Reaction score
Situation - Left click on Start does not bring up Menu but right click on Start will bring up Windows 7 style menu (file explorer, control panel, etc). In the Action center in the lower right corner, there is a button to push to go into Tablet mode. I pushed the Tablet mode and the Tablet mode with all the tiles was entered. Then I went back to the Action center and click to turn off the Tablet mode. The left click on the Start now opened the normal menu.

Ask a Question