Normal Startup

Reaction score
I cannot set normal startup with msconfig in windows 10 version 1809 as startup returns back to selective startup.please help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check both the "General" tab make sure that "Normal startup" is selected
THEN
Check the "Boot" tab and make sure that nothing has been checked, especially the one that says "Make all boot settings permanent"

Reaction score
I cannot set normal startup with msconfig in windows 10 version 1809 as startup returns back to selective startup.please help
Check both the "General" tab make sure that "Normal startup" is selected
THEN
Check the "Boot" tab and make sure that nothing has been checked, especially the one that says "Make all boot settings permanent"
problem unsolved

Reaction score
Open the startup tab in the task manager and disable any third party or extra items you can identify. Go back to ms config and reselect the normal tab. See if that works for you.

Reaction score
Open the startup tab in the task manager and disable any third party or extra items you can identify. Go back to ms config and reselect the normal tab. See if that works for you.
I followed your instructions to the letter but nothing happened it goes back to selective startup

Reaction score
Are you also clicking on "Apply" after making your selection ?: :):):)

selectivev startup.JPG

Reaction score
I think all of my systems do the same thing. I have believed it was due to something not being allowed, by me, which was causing it. It may also be a situation where some driver does not start correctly.

When I check a boot log I see several drivers that are not loaded, after repeated tries. Some of those drivers are running now but others are not.

I also see in Autoruns many drivers or modules being loaded are showing as "file could not be found". And at least one case, that file is in a different folder but not the one indicated... It just so happens these entries cannot be unchecked for startup.

I will continue some research to see if I can track it down.

@Trouble, the link is from 2012 and I could not find several of the references.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Trouble, the link is from 2012 and I could not find several of the references.
Capture.PNG

Just asked if it might apply

Finding a particular reference in the Registry, might be impacted by whether or not some settings were in place via msconfig or other means.

Reaction score
I tried removing the first two registry keys and it did not make a difference.

I might suggest, possibly the setting is preset to the option you will need if actually wanting to change from the normal startup.

I set mine for a Diagnostic startup and did see things like the speaker icon with a red X. After I placed it back to a Normal startup, the red X went away.

Does anyone show a normal startup preselected when opening msconfig.exe?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes.

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Although for reference....
This is a wipe and clean install, with very few if any third party programs installed and no adjustment to Windows services or processes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally....
On the boot tab of msconfig there is an "Advanced options" button....
IF you have at any time select this and configured any of the options regarding "Number of processors" "Maximum Memory" etc.
IT could result in the General tab showing something other than "Normal startup"

Reaction score
Another point is , if you disable any os the built in "services", then it will revert to selective.
Have a look, for example, under the services tab. Those posters who have "normal" startup,disable the "Alljyoyn Router service. Reboot and see if you still have normal - I dont think so!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I disabled the Alljyoyn router service and your prediction was right it went back to selective startup anyway thank you very much

Reaction score
I believe we have gone into a self diagnose phase. But thank you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question