The new normal

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft announced today that they will be releasing "feature" updates to Windows 10 (and others) twice a year.
Windows is committing to a predictable twice-per-year feature release schedule, targeting September and March of each year
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/business/...edules-benefit-customers/#S4JUUTk1HBJ7miL9.97

So...... is every one ready for what looks like (to me) a constant state of flux with your Operating System.

IDK and again, it's probably just me, but....
I kinda miss the old, every couple years (with a Service Pack thrown in here and there) model, between major OS changes.
Something about the stability of actually working out the kinks and having "some" time at least to enjoy a fair amount of reliability, seems attractive to me.

Even Vista settled down after Service Pack 1 where they reworked the kernel and assimilated the NT kernel into the OS.

I can't help but wonder, what this might mean for devices and a potential threat to backwards compatibility.
I can't believe that the rest of the industry is too excited about this...
The multiple third party software vendors and hardware vendors chasing driver updates.
OR
Maybe they are since it might drive sales of new(er) more compatible devices.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I dont mind the features updates more often, but what I care about the most is that Im allowed to control these new features, that for the most part I have no interest in, dont use, and dont want services and other apps running in background consuming resources related with this.

For instance all gaming features, 3D glasses nonsense, xbox and other like things that have no use on my production machine.

I most of all care that Windows updates doesnt break itself or Windows.

If every six months and at each version increments I spend hours and hours like I have so far fixing crap, then no. I will for sure dedicate more resources making Wine support my needed applications and move to Linux permanently. Sadly some are specialized applications, its not run of the mill apps.

That said, I can rip out any undesired nonsense from the installation ISO easily and its easy to test how it affects Windows in long run on Virtual machines.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep..... but then, you and I are not "the run of the mill" users either.
And nothing we can do or more properly said "should" do will make old software applications magically compatible nor hardware devices and their associated software driver packages work, unless we're prepared to write our own.

I was thinking more globally, with respect to the wider install base and the "typical" user who can't seem to get their network or audio card to work....
AND
How this "new normal" seems to service the "new" culture of disposability and how the general public is encouraged to "throw away and buy all new", for those blessed with a budget that makes it possible to discard a device costing hundreds of dollars, with one that will likely also join the trash heap in short order.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
My applications arent old, they just not everyday public software, it runs fine in Windows 7 and Windows 10...

But as a private user my main comments apply, and I dont see Microsoft quality development any time soon which only happens with maturity and you cant get any maturity every 6 months of something especially if development focus shifts and eventually older parts still half broken are forgotten because theres not enough developers working on these things.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
you cant get any maturity every 6 months
Agreed, and.....
My point exactly
Maturity is an excellent choice of words to describe the dilemma. Sorta wish I would have used it somewhere in my OP.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Feel free to edit it and use it...

Edit: I should have said "you cant get any substantial maturity" but meh...

With the 6 month model, it will take many many years to achieve any lasting stability. Unless Microsoft dedicate large teams of experienced developers, and that is key, that understand the fundamentals of what they are developing and improving by code re-factoring.

Edit: This would go a lot faster if experienced developers remained with Redmond and weren't poached by other companies and replaced with college graduates. But Since Bill gates departure, the restructuring has likely alienated many longer term people... eh lol

You should read http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/ and despite being old, its quite obvious those old issues are still a problem today in Windows 10, despite the many improvements in boot time and optimisation... Many of those old APIs still used and they all broken fundamentally.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
"I just want a OS that works"..
Prefer not to dragged through the ringer to achieve that, but why stop now?!

Being all melancholy about the good old XP days...heavy exhalation

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Well we all want something that works... If we going to get it or not its another matter... hahaha.

Some people have it, they probably have the right combination of hardware/drivers and on newer hardware like mine doesn't surprise me its not wonderful like most people.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just wait, or.....
As my pappy used to say "hide and watch"
You can only pile crap so high
Putting bad code on top of bad code long enough and something is bound to topple.

We get a glimpse every once in a while in the insider program or even with some "cumulative" updates from time to time.
A line is commented out to facilitate a breakpoint debug run and forgotten or otherwise accidentally edited and gets re-compiled and we get something good with something broken in it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And further more..... (a totally unnecessary declarative I know, but I just like saying it)

The sheer fact, that what used to fit on a few diskettes or a CD Rom disc (something around 700 MB), now has trouble fitting onto a DVD (4.7 GB)
Does anyone believe that they can actually do that much more with Windows 10, than they could with Windows 95, such that it would justify that much bloat.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
And further more..... (a totally unnecessary declarative I know, but I just like saying it)

The sheer fact, that what used to fit on a few diskettes or a CD Rom disc (something around 700 MB), now has trouble fitting onto a DVD (4.7 GB)
Does anyone believe that they can actually do that much more with Windows 10, than they could with Windows 95, such that it would justify that much bloat.

It's the old adage of putting lipstick on a pig at this point, and if it ain't broke don't fix it..But how much more are they willing to break things and do the subsequent repairs at the cost of our machines and patience?... I'm positive that there is much more to MS's ideology then we will ever know.o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm positive that there is much more to MS's ideology then we will ever know.
Profit and Power?
Power via information gathering and by being the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
Profit via....... well the same thing.

Anyone remember Novell Netware??? No? Everyone thought NT Server was a joke.
Anyone remember Netscape Navigator??? No? Everyone thought IE was a joke.

Both products probably enjoyed somewhere in the neighborhood of a 75% install base in their prime if not higher.

MS is a juggernaut / steamroller. Everything else either assimilates or perishes.
They keep dishing it out and we keep eating it.
OH..... they'll allow a few to also have a seat at the table, as long as they mind their manners. They don't need all the anti-trust / monopoly BS that would happen if they gobbled up everything.

When Jobs almost lost Apple, who was there with a bailout loan?
Why? Think about it.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Novell the scourge of the universe, puah! puah!

Bif

Reaction score
Profit and Power?
Power via information gathering and by being the 800 pound gorilla in the room.
Profit via....... well the same thing.

Anyone remember Novell Netware??? No? Everyone thought NT Server was a joke.
Anyone remember Netscape Navigator??? No? Everyone thought IE was a joke.

Both products probably enjoyed somewhere in the neighborhood of a 75% install base in their prime if not higher.

MS is a juggernaut / steamroller. Everything else either assimilates or perishes.
They keep dishing it out and we keep eating it.
OH..... they'll allow a few to also have a seat at the table, as long as they mind their manners. They don't need all the anti-trust / monopoly BS that would happen if they gobbled up everything.

When Jobs almost lost Apple, who was there with a bailout loan?
Why? Think about it.

I should have punctuated my last comment with " tongue in cheek" as intended....
But you crystal cleared it quite nicely!;)

Reaction score
Trouble, I remember all of those things!. Connecting an IBM AS/400 via Ethernet to clients running Netware. Ethernet from IBM gear was worse than doing the Netware side. Porting a OLTP system from a VAX to NT and then Windows 2000 server. The system was written in a sort of primitive C and we had our own compiler, written in C, that produced assembler for the target machine...which then went through Microsofts MASM and link. Computing was fun in the old days!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't remind me.
I had my own experience with an AS 400, which still to this day can produce an involuntary shiver and brief stomach pain, whenever those (normally suppressed) memories are evoked.
I was a newly minted MCSE (NT4.0) and couldn't even spell IBM.
Fortunately they had a very good contractor / consultant who at that time, to me, was a grumpy old man, then about the same age as I am currently.
He already new I didn't know anything. I was still figuring that out.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You make a very good point, especially regarding regarding the "choice" element to it. Other consumer operating systems have similar release/update schedules, but there is a lot more flexibility when it comes to major updates - particularly with Android/iOS devices. Privacy and control aspects of software are now on the radar for casual users, so I expect (and hope) we'll see improvements with this as time goes on. It wouldn't surprise me if the EU start to ask more questions in future (I think @davehc has also mentioned this before).

On one hand, I like that Windows has constant development and refinement (particularly with regards to security features and revising unpopular UI decisions)... but I imagine it'll catch some less tech-savvy people out, as they'll expect some consistency and won't like imposed changes if they're not familiar with why it happened.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
And people who have been using WIndows 10, and suddenly after having spent time learning where things are, now have to re-learn everything again because it was changed or removed.

For less tech savvy users IMO especially, but that I expect will annoy most people except for the adoring fans for which MS can do no wrong. Suckers... o_O

Reaction score
I don't think the less savvy users have have too many problems, they know enough to leave well alone.
It's the tweaker's that have to modify everything that have the problems.

Ask a Question