The new normal

Reaction score
....and don't forget MS have a zillion people on their payroll and they mustn't be sitting around just sharpening pencils.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's the tweaker's that have to modify everything that have the problems.
While that might certainly be the case.
AS someone who does some tweaking both software (OS) as well as hardware.
I would only suggest that when I do so, I do so with a plan for un-tweaking.
AS a PSA: I would suggest that everyone adopt such a plan to get yourself out of the mess that you may create.

Reaction score
And further more..... (a totally unnecessary declarative I know, but I just like saying it)

The sheer fact, that what used to fit on a few diskettes or a CD Rom disc (something around 700 MB), now has trouble fitting onto a DVD (4.7 GB)
Does anyone believe that they can actually do that much more with Windows 10, than they could with Windows 95, such that it would justify that much bloat.

The size of the install file is less important than the footprint Window leaves on your drive. Remember there Because Windows is on Dell, Hp, Acer Lenova and many others PC's with many components those drivers are also on the install media.

WHL

Reaction score
"I just want a OS that works"..
Prefer not to dragged through the ringer to achieve that, but why stop now?!

Being all melancholy about the good old XP days...heavy exhalation
My desktop PC is windows XP pro.
Away back in the day I bought an Epson A3 1290s Photo Printer which cost me almost £500.
It was a glorious machine but when Vista came out that was the last OS that drivers were made for the 1290s.
I remember there was uproar at the time that many printers became obsolete overnight when windows 7 appeared.
Since then I've purchased reconditioned Dell desktops with XP pro installed so that I could still use the 1290s printer.
Unfortunately the Epson printer died at the end of last year so I really don't have a need for an XP machine.
I'm saying that but I have Office 2003 and Photoshop CS3 which still work on my XP machine.
I'm reluctant to discard them as they do all that I want in imaging and language.

Reaction score
Having become rather "tired" of the constant tweaks and upgrades to W10 and the high drain on my data plan, I've frozen my two machines to version 1511 (10586.839). I'm not interested in any more "bells and whistles".

Everything is stable and works just dandy.

The only thing I do is to ensure Defender is up to date.

Bif

Reaction score
I still have my trusty old XP Pro tower the size of a small bookcase, and it runs as smoothly now as it did way back when.
Navigating it's antiquated UI is like putting on a comfortable pair of old leather gloves..

Reaction score
Mr Ed I did the same, that is, disabled any further MS offerings. I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro. version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1358)
I'm very happy with 1607, it performs all the tasks I need very well, including MS Office 2010.
As far as MS future updates. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel for resolving they update issues.
No users, whether they are computer savvy or not, should have to deal with MS floundering like a beached whale waiting for help by the insiders to push them back and point them in the right direction.

Reaction score
and if W10 hadn't been a free upgrade I'd still be running W7.

What? And miss out on all those wonderful tiles? Don't forget windows 8. The very first thing I always do with any version of 10 is put Classis Shell on it so it looks like 7.

Reaction score
What? And miss out on all those wonderful tiles? Don't forget windows 8. The very first thing I always do with any version of 10 is put Classis Shell on it so it looks like 7.

Tiles are for bathrooms and kitchens...

Ask a Question