Notebook webcam and microphone blocked/unaccessable - for online video interviews

Reaction score
Hello.

Has anyone had problems with connecting to the webcam/camera and microphone on their notebook – in order to do a online video interview for a job application? (My notebook is a 5 year old HP Pavilion 15-ac628TX 15.6".)

As I don't have the Australian NBN or broadband at home, I USB thethered my notebook (Windows 10) to my Nokia 2.3 mobile phone (Android 11).
With neither the notebook or mobile phone, I couldn't access the webcam/camera and microphone with.
I called the technical support number for Talegent, the technical company who manages Woolworths online interviews, but the guy couldn't help.

I once tried the notebook at a public library with their w-fi, (for another online video interview) and had the same problem.
I don't think it's necessarily the fact that Norton 360 is installed on both devices.

Access to the most recent online video interview, was by opening a link in an email from talengent.com

I cannot see anything in the settings for my HP notebook that allows access to the webcam and microphone.
– CyberLink YouCam 6, and the browsers: Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.

All I could find for notebook camera settings is:
> Windows 10 > System Settings > Camera Privacy Settings
- Camera access for this device is showing as: on.

So I don't know why it wasn't working 2 days ago.

I prefer to use the notebook for video interviews, because the screen is larger, and I don't need to hold it with one hand, or find something to stand it on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since I don't have a need I always enter the BIOS settings on my Notebooks and Disable the camera and microphone, has yours been checked/verified as Enabled? If so and still have problems I'd get or borrow a microphone and Web camera to test. A diagnostic I use is a Bootable Linux LiveDVD to verify onboard devices in a computer work outside of Windows, if so it helps narrow down the issues to Windows itself, usually only driver issues.

Reaction score
Thankyou

How do I check on the BIOS when starting up or restarting the notebook?

If it is a driver issue, would up to date drivers be available? And where from, if you know?
- I assume they can be easily installed?

The notebook is 5 years old.

Ask a Question