Office 2016 Out of Grace period

GH1

Reaction score
Have a problem I have a desktop and two laptops A Sony Duo and a Surface. Sony had Office 2010 and Surface had Office 2016 Desktop didnt have Office at all.

SO Sony was dieing So I did this . Swapped Office 2010 from Sony to Desktop Used key from Sony Worked ok.

Then decided to swap them around to give me the later version on desktop.

So installed 2016 on desktop and worked fine using the Surface's key.

Installed 2010 on Surface and it still runs fine.

All good till rebuilt desktop. New m/board case and CPU and graphics card Put original HDD in it all worked except Office

While Windows activated Office 2016 wouldnt and gave error 'Out of Grace period"

Even inserting the legitimate key wouldnt work

I rang Microsoft who were unsympathetic and said they couldnt (or wouldnt ) do anything and I would have to buy a new copy .

Its only 2 years old and was purchased with a Microsoft machine so why wont it work.

Has only ever been installed in one machine at a time as during swaps I downloaded a new copy to install

Any ideas about how to get some sense from Microsoft

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you purchased a computer that had Office 2016 pre-installed awaiting you to activate it, then its likely that installation was an OEM package. Microsoft supplies software in OEM format for single use only on a single computer only. The license is not transferable.

If you purchased the software yourself ( and it was not the cheaper OEM version ), then you are permitted to reinstall this software onto another computer and activate it for free, provided it has been removed from the initial computer it was installed on.

If you fall into that latter comment ( 2nd paragraph ) I'd call Microsoft again and ask whomever answers to elevate your call to a manager so you can explain the situation and hopefully get it sorted out for free.

Regards,

Regedit32

GH1

Reaction score
Thank you but it had originally been on the Surface and I uninstalled it off that and reinstalled it on the desktop It has been working on there activated for most of this year.
I built a new machine and put my old HDD in it It all booted up fine and said Windows was activated with a digital licence.

When I went to try Office it said " Out of Grace period" and Microsoft wouldnt help

I dont know what type it was as I bought the Surface second hand 4 months old and it had Office installed on it and I had to use a Keyfinder to find the Keys in that machine. I got the receipt and it didnt mention Office so I dont know if the owner bought it later or it was preinstalled

Regedit32

Reaction score
Try the following:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click yes
  • Now, in the Administrator: Command Prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus

Press Enter key to execute the command

Copy the results and post them here if you like, and hopefully we can ascertain the situation with your Office 2016. It's possible some elements are in fact activated, whilst other components may not be. The script command above ought to confirm one way or the other.

GH1

Reaction score
I have it running with a KMS hack When I run that command it gives a error box saying

Requires the Cscript engine EG cscript ospp.vbs

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that, so I've got no idea whether that'd prevent a built-in script confirming your software status.

GH1

Reaction score
What Microsoft said was that you have so long to swap it between machines and that the registration key has been deactivated as in no longer able to be used . I said well I paid for it and want it to work and they just werent interested and said go and buy another copy.

Is pretty poor as it was working happily and because I put the drive in a new machine I figured like Windows I may have to ring to get both to activate Was surprised when Windows worked and pissed off when Office didnt.

Reaction score
I've even had issues with my old Office 2007 TechNet keys only activating a certain amount of times. But usually a call to Microsoft fixes that. That makes me think yours is an OEM key, which would probably only have a certain amount of activations. I would keep calling them until you get someone who will help activate it. I've heard sometimes it depends on who you talk to.

GH1

Reaction score
Yes I got a bit annoyed and the person speaking poor English wasnt at all helpful I have another contact at Microsoft so will see what ahppens

Reaction score

GH1

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and got fed up with their activation service, I switched to LibreOffice and haven't looked back:

It is completely free and no registration is necessary!. :) :) :) :)
Doesnt help when I use Outlook for Email

Reaction score
I use Thunderbird which works with most; if not all eMail clients!. :)

See also:

GH1

Reaction score
Everyone to their own. Ive tried them all and liked Windows Live Mail the best and as it no longer works well Outlook is the next best.

Al this isnt helping my activation problem

Reaction score
You don't need office to use desktop Outlook. It only fetches from the web.
You can make a shortcut direct to the internet site.
As above, try Libre Office.

GH1

Reaction score
You don't need office to use desktop Outlook. It only fetches from the web.
You can make a shortcut direct to the internet site.
As above, try Libre Office.
I dont want to do that as I use other Office programs as well.

If you cant help me with the activation please dont bother trying to convince me to use something else because I dont want to do that

Reaction score
Sorry. It was a response to your "Doesnt help when I use Outlook for Email "

Reaction score
I am with you.
I have also been through that process. Usually return to desktop Outlook.
But, just to trouble you a little more, there are a couple which are not so well known, which I have found quite compatible with Outlook - eM Client and Hiri. The latter was outstanding. Both are free and grab all your settings from Outlook/your Ms account.

GH1

Reaction score
Have tried Emclient and the reason I dont like them is I like the format of and the way Outlook and Windows Live Mail display them.

Just like I use Firefox and not Chrome which puts your History all over the shop Firefox lists it in folders with pages within

Reaction score
1576351446842.png
I have it running with a KMS hack When I run that command it gives a error box saying

Requires the Cscript engine EG cscript ospp.vbs
what version is installed x86 or x64 - the command is different for ea...
and now if you converted your RETAIL to VL and use a GVLK Key. you created a Harder to fix MESS.

MS has 2 method for Outlook Email. 1 is outlook from Office and 2 is MS Oultook from Mail.
I is still possible for you to go back to Retail Office from GVLK Office, but it does require that you do a 100% CLEAN of your KMS (GVLK) activation of Office. and removal of the KMS server....
these are exactly the same Installation of Office 2019.

Ask a Question