Office 2016 Out of Grace period

GH1

Reaction score
Perhaps as its working with the hack I should just be happy and use it.

Problem is if i do a clean install of WIndows I have to got through it all again whereas if the real key still worked I wouldnt have any trouble

Reaction score
It does not mean a CLEAN install of Windows, it means a clean install of Office 2016. It might also depend what you KEY really is.
Type of Keys.
1. GVLK - KMS - unlimited Activations.
2. MAK - Set number of keys as dictated by MS (know to be from 250 to 10,000 Activations
3. OEM-Act3.0
4. OEM-Non Slp
5. Trial - Good for 30 to 60 days
6. Retail - Unlimited Time
7. TBEVal - upto 1yr- normally 6 mo
My Office 2016 was MAK and would not Activate 2019
My Office 2019 is MAK
-----------------------------------------you might try this win-off.bat----
you can view to see what - I wrote for my clients.... open notepad, copy and paste all into then save as Win-Off-Chk.Bat
it will do no harm or change anything it simply check you Windows Activation and Your Office 2016/2019 x86 or x64 Activation
@echo off
:color 1F
color 1E

if exist "%Windir%\Sysnative\sppsvc.exe" set SysPath=%Windir%\Sysnative
if exist "%Windir%\System32\sppsvc.exe" set SysPath=%Windir%\System32
echo ************************************************************
echo *** Windows Status ***
cscript /nologo %SysPath%\slmgr.vbs /dli
cscript /nologo %sysPath%\slmgr.vbs /xpr
@Echo off

Setlocal
:: Get windows Version numbers
For /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%G in ('ver') Do (set _version=%%G)
For /f "tokens=2,3,4 delims=. " %%G in ('echo %_version%') Do (set _major=%%G& set _minor=%%H& set _build=%%I)
Echo Major version: %_major% Minor Version: %_minor%.%_build%

ECHO OFF
::This if for x86 Office on x86 Windows or x64 Office on x64 Windows
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus
::This is for x86 Office on x64 Windows
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus
pause

Last edited:

GH1

Reaction score
It does not mean a CLEAN install of Windows, it means a clean install of Office 2016. It might also depend what you KEY really is.
Type of Keys.
1. GVLK - KMS - unlimited Activations.
2. MAK - Set number of keys as dictated by MS (know to be from 250 to 10,000 Activations
3. OEM-Act3.0
4. OEM-Non Slp
5. Trial - Good for 30 to 60 days
6. Retail - Unlimited Time
7. TBEVal - upto 1yr- normally 6 mo
My Office 2016 was MAK and would not Activate 2019
My Office 2019 is MAK
-----------------------------------------you might try this win-off.bat----
you can view to see what - I wrote for my clients.... open notepad, copy and paste all into then save as Win-Off-Chk.Bat
it will do no harm or change anything it simply check you Windows Activation and Your Office 2016/2019 x86 or x64 Activation
@echo off
:color 1F
color 1E

if exist "%Windir%\Sysnative\sppsvc.exe" set SysPath=%Windir%\Sysnative
if exist "%Windir%\System32\sppsvc.exe" set SysPath=%Windir%\System32
echo *** Windows Status ***
cscript /nologo %SysPath%\slmgr.vbs /dli
cscript /nologo %sysPath%\slmgr.vbs /xpr
@Echo off

Setlocal
:: Get windows Version numbers
For /f "tokens=2 delims=[]" %%G in ('ver') Do (set _version=%%G)
For /f "tokens=2,3,4 delims=. " %%G in ('echo %_version%') Do (set _major=%%G& set _minor=%%H& set _build=%%I)
Echo Major version: %_major% Minor Version: %_minor%.%_build%

ECHO OFF
::This if for x86 Office on x86 Windows or x64 Office on x64 Windows
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus
::This is for x86 Office on x64 Windows
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus
pause
Yeah I understand that but what I meant is IF I have to do a clean install of everything I will have problems getting Office to run again

I will try what you say Ive done it do you want me to show the result

Reaction score
If you want, but unless you install a CLEAN OFFICE Retail, and make sure you have removed the Auto KMS. (ASuto KMS automatically converts Retail to GVLK) , and Any Retail Install (activated or not will run for 30days as Grace Install.) There are several Programs that will Total Uninstall Office, but you have to located the KMS and remove it your self... since most KMS installs set the Reactivate to auto activate.
I meant is IF I have to do a clean install of everything I will have problems getting Office to run again
That is almost impossible to do... but i guess if you work hard enough you could screw it up.

GH1

Reaction score
If you want, but unless you install a CLEAN OFFICE Retail, and make sure you have removed the Auto KMS. (ASuto KMS automatically converts Retail to GVLK) , and Any Retail Install (activated or not will run for 30days as Grace Install.) There are several Programs that will Total Uninstall Office, but you have to located the KMS and remove it your self... since most KMS installs set the Reactivate to auto activate.
That is almost impossible to do... but i guess if you work hard enough you could screw it up.
Will just leave it as it is while its worlking and keep the Activator for KMS in case I have problems later

Attachments

• Office activation.png
    Office activation.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Looks like you never removed the Auto KMS since if that is a CLEAN Retail Install of Office - it is KMS. KMS is a hidden program in you OS once used. You have to REMOVE it prior to Uninstall of Office... the Install Office from a Retail ISO. it then will show in GRACE Period.
I have done this mega times for my Clients, and first depents on what KMS program you used (The Readme might tell you how to uninstall the AUTO KMS.)

GH1

Reaction score
I think we getting at cross purposes What I have now is after running the KMS activator.

What i am trying to get is the REAL key reactivated so that in the future should anything go wrong and I need to fully clean my computer and reinstall EVERYTHING i can just reinstall Office using its original key Microsoft say it cant be done. My argument is that it shouldnt have been deactivated as I did nothing wrong. It was on one computer legally. I shifted it to another one legally as was only ever on one at a time.
I built a new machine ( new M/board, memory and chip, power supply and case) and transferred the HDD's from old one to new machine and Office crapped itself.

Reaction score
Once you run the KMS Activator, it is super hard to reset back to Retail. I think also you stated your Original key was for Office 2010.
Not 2016 or 2019. and MS did allow you to reuse it on Your Surface, and then Im not sure if you used it again. Gads, 1 Key for 1 Computer, not 1 key for 10 computers... but Yes, it is possible to get MS to allow you to use again... it does depend on the TYPE of KEY.
OEM - yes, KMS - yes, Retail- maybe, MAK - yes until the Alloted Activations are used.... You can validate this info by installing ADK (VAMT3.1) and ask MS to validate such. SAMPLE: Notice Office 15 MAK that is over the limit so MS has blocked the key from further use. I also do not have any 2010 Office key in my current data base. therefore i can not find your an-to-or validate if it is good or blocked.

1576461956347.png

GH1

Reaction score
Here is what I did exactly
I had a Sony Duo that had Office 2010 on it The screen died so I uninstalled Office 2010 and installed it on my desktop.

I then bought the Surface to replace the Sony. Surface had Office 2016 on it.

So I thought i might as well have the best on on my desktop as lappys only for emergency.

SO I uninstalled 2010 OFF the desktop and 2016 OFF the Surface . Reinstalled 2010 on the Surface and it works fine

I then installed 2016 on the Desktop and it activated and ran fine for nearly a year.

My son gave me his old fast gaming machine so I put my HDDs in it and it booted up good as Gold Windows continued to be activated by a digital licence.

Went to run Office and got the troubles. Rang Microsoft who said fluf fluf fluf That key is deactivated and you have to buy a new copy of Office.

As far as I was aware as long as it is only installed on one machine at a time it is portable. Otherwise how come after i swapped it from the Surface to the Desktop it continued to activate and run.

Reaction score
Rang Microsoft who said fluf fluf fluf - That key is deactivated
-- ok Deactivated means it was used OVER THE MAX ALLOTED. That is very common, OEM and MAK and Retail keys do have a LIMIT. as long as that key is activated and stays on the same unit, and has a MS Digital License and uses a MS Login. it should be good far as long as - the only change would be a change in MOTHERBOARD ID is what counts as a new Activation and uses another allocation. (Only if you have a Restorable Image for that Computer that has Office Activated.)then the Key is no longer good. (You can install w/o Internet - Office and use that key and have 30 days) and may be possible to -rearm . but a very slim chance. Sorry.
So restore the Surface Image and see if your Office was part of the Image....where as most folks do not image the full version with all Activated. and only use the Recovery Image. which is OEM Activated Windows.

Last edited:

GH1

Reaction score
Oh well its working ATM soi will just leave it New Motherboard obviously the reason

Reaction score
To Davehc

FYI; As of today, hiri is $39 per year, not free. Only the trial is free. So I am not trying it.
Maybe. Yes and no thing. I am using Hiri as a backup and have the "Ambassador " thing working for me. You may not , now, qualify, but read this:

Reaction score
To Davehc

FYI; As of today, hiri is $39 per year, not free. Only the trial is free. So I am not trying it.
I promise you it is, but with the proviso previously explained. I am currently using it as a backup on two machines.

Ask a Question