Office 2019

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The next perpetual update for Office. This release, scheduled for the second half of 2018, will include perpetual versions of the Office apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
SOURCE: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/09/26/the-next-perpetual-release-of-office/

It's about time. I was beginning to wonder why I switched to the subscription based Office 365 when I moved from Office 2013.
Now I guess I'll see if it was worth it.

Reaction score
Very confusing. I have the Office 2016 subscription package for 5 machines here and I don't think it is called Office 365...but maybe it is.
Office components loaded onto my machines not used via the cloud. Does this mean there will be a fancy new version in late 2018 and the subscription will continue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK. As far as I know Office 365 in its' many flavors is or at least was the only subscription package that they sold.
IF you open one of the components, say for instance "Word" and then from the file menu click and select "Account" mine says......

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
You are right of course. I have been searching the options to be able to show the regular menu bar at startup. Must be a way. Don't want recent dont want templates just want the old fashioned way!

Reaction score
Ref your post, Trouble. I Lost the track there, but your clip is from 365?

In word 2016, I get this. Oddly, no mention, as in yours of the "belongs to..."

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
So I clicked on the Update dialog and got to version 1708 a few minutes later. I wonder why that did not happen automatically.

Reaction score
It seems I am wording my queries badly - lol. 'Are you and trouble clicking in Office 365 or Office 2016???
Looking at your post #2, it looks like the latter?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Mine never seems to happen automatically.
I just assumed that because it was 365 it was divorced from being included with normal Windows Updates.
I have an old version of office sharepoint designer on the same machine and it gets updated with Windows Updates all the time.

Reaction score
It seems I am wording my queries badly - lol. 'Are you and trouble clicking in Office 365 or Office 2016???
Looking at your post #2, it looks like the latter?

I thought that the difference between Office 2016 and Office 365 was that one is when you just buy it outright and the other when you buy on subscription.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is the way I understand it as well.
That is why I assume both yours and mine are indicating 365 Subscription Product
and Dave's which is likely part of his MSDN (same as Retail) is not.

No idea what the difference or particular significance is between "Monthly Channel" and "Current Channel".
I know that there is also an insider program for Office so if someone is participating in that (I'm not currently) it might show something different.

Reaction score
I've beem tryin to research this on the web.
1. Current channel, which applies to 365, means you get Security and Feature updates every month.This is the default setting.
2. Monthly channel, in office pro has been changed from 2current channel"

I couldnt find a positive statement, bu it did appear that 365 should also have changed to monthly..but..?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes and no.
It's sort of cloud based in that, it would love it if you would leave your default save location to "OneDrive", however it is not required.
The individual components install on your computer the same way that the non-subscription applications do.
I'm not sure what would happen in the event that you failed to renew your subscription and just let it lapse.
Since when using the 365 package you're normally signed in using your qualifying account, I would assume that you might get some annoying popups referencing licensing and or validation.

The feature that makes the cloud portion attractive is if you use any of the office.live products on your phone or tablet then you have access (assuming the same account) to your OneDrive files, from within the live application on your mobile device automatically.

Reaction score
As long as Word Excel and Outlook work... I have no use for the other bits.
Problem is, and always has been, that, even if you disable the other bits in the program files, MS insist on sending massive updates for the whole office!

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have the same situation: subscribed to Office 365 from Office 2007 . I did read somewhere (can't remember where) that Office 365 includes 1 Terabyte of One drive storage, but office 3016, gong forward, will only be carrying 5 gig unless more space is bought for a fee. Can anyone verify that?

Ask a Question