Official new version

Reaction score
When the official new version of W-10 is released tomorrow will we who have been using the technical preview have to:
1. reload?
2. change the key?
3. pay anything?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
will we who have been using the technical preview have to:
1. reload?
2. change the key?
3. pay anything?
Nope.... nothing.
You should be good to go as long as you're running 10240 and it's activated, I don't think there are any other requirements or hoops to jump through.
Of course, we'll all know considerably more tomorrow.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is a / the ISO
You just have to pick "create media" and then you have two option one of which is for the ISO

Reaction score
That is a / the ISO
You just have to pick "create media" and then you have two option one of which is for the ISO
Hi, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff. I have reserved my free upgrade (and it has been July 29th over here for a good while now) but still no notification message to install and I'm pretty sure it has already downloaded. Should I just wait or will downloading that ISO, making a bootable USB and clean installing from that still be a legit upgrade? (as in will it ask me for a product key or something)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
will downloading that ISO, making a bootable USB and clean installing from that still be a legit upgrade?
Nope.... no clean installs until after the upgrade. I know... seems counter-intuitive, but that's how it's been explained to me.
You could probably use the ISO, make the installation media on a USB thumb drive or DVD and then perform the upgrade from within your current OS from that.
Personally, I'm waiting till tomorrow mid- day before I make any decisions on how I'll move forward.

Reaction score
Nope.... no clean installs until after the upgrade. I know... seems counter-intuitive, but that's how it's been explained to me.
You could probably use the ISO, make the installation media on a USB thumb drive or DVD and then perform the upgrade from within your current OS from that.
Personally, I'm waiting till tomorrow mid- day before I make any decisions on how I'll move forward.
Okay thanks for the answer, so if I understood correctly I can use that to upgrade without the notification thingy and afterwards do a clean install? I would be doing the clean install on a new drive btw, i bought and SSD just for this damn thing :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Technically it should work.
After you've performed the upgrade either in-place from the installation media you create with the ISO, or through windows updates if that ever happens, and......
You confirm that, that current upgraded installation has been activated and associated with that machine and your MS Account, and.....
You confirm that your account is "verified" (there may be a "verify button" within Settings -> Accounts). You should be good to go
Personally that is what I intend to do myself (custom clean install after the dust has settled) but I will and suggest that you and everyone else.... make a full disk image of the system before proceeding.
Of course in your case, you're going to just remove the drive and replace it with another, so setting that one aside and keeping it safe with be like having a full disk image.

Ask a Question