Old Hi8 videos to PC -confused

Reaction score
Got a couple of Hi8 video's I want to download to the laptop.

The camcorder has either the RCA or S-Video output.

Confused of what is needed to convert the tapes to the laptop, whether its a grabber, capture or which other device is needed.

Any suggestions of which type of device I should be looking at.

Reaction score
If it has a digital readout you need to capture software and then covert it .mpg or DVD etc.
I use to use Roxio software to extract and convert that program has been a failure on many levels Since Roxio sold out to Corel many years ago as far as I know they are still producing revisions that don't work so beware of that one. I'm not using any now so I can't really recommend any other than Adobe premier which is very expensive but will work every time without issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you don't have RCA inputs or S video on your PC, you'll need some kind of converter. I've done VHS with my old Hauppauge TV tuner card. But I have a VHS/DVD recorder machine that I use now. That would work with any thing with RCA or S video outputs, but would be a pretty expensive solution. This Elgato is $87. https://www.elgato.com/en/video-capture

Ask a Question