Downloads folder slow to populate

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Anybody else seeing this, where the downloads folder, in my case takes 20 - 30 seconds to populate the field. It seems to be a common issue but with no real definitive fix. It's not a big deal....but just so freaking annoying.

Reaction score
Hi Bass,

happens to all folders with large content on all my computers regardless of system specs, seems to be a Windows thing!. :)

Reaction score
I think I am on the right track … Do you mean, when you download something from the web, it is a few seconds before it shows in the download folder? I normally keep my download folder emptt. When I have downloaded something, it is normally used or moved instantly. But, you query, mine seems to load the download immediately

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I believe Bass means that it takes time for the folder to populate before it will display the contents of the folder?. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hi Bass,

happens to all folders with large content on all my computers regardless of system specs, seems to be a Windows thing!. :)
I only have 18 items in there and they're software that I have/need from a clean install.

Annotation 2020-06-14 071022.png

Reaction score
Where is your download folder physically (on C:\) ? or another drive?
Mine opens instantly although I only have three items in the "root" of the folder...

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I believe Bass means that it takes time for the folder to populate before it will display the contents of the folder?. :)
Quite. But,, as I said, I download to that folder for the specific purpose of using the download. He has an awful load in there which, by his own words, would be better off in another dedicated folder after downloading.
I think the significant question here, though, is “why only the download folder, unless one or other of the contents referring back each time to its origin?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
significant question here, though, is “why only the download folder,
Yep....that's my point.

Usually that folder has 10 times as much stuff.....and never had an issue. This just started recently.....but not sure if it's attributed to 2004 or before. I just noticed it.

Ask a Question