File Explorer - stop folder expanding??

Reaction score
In File Explorer, I click a drive in the left panel and the folders automatically expand. How do I stop that?

I want to click a drive and just see the folders in the right panel. No expansion in the left panel unless I opt to click the "+" icon.

I've Googled forever trying settings and regedit changes. Nothing seesm to stop them from expanding.

I know this is a Win 10 forum, but by chance someone might be able to advise about Outlook 2019. In the left navigation panel at the bottom, there's a menu bar with shortcuts. How do I get that bar to disappear altogether?

Thanks!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What view are you using for file explorer? I have changed mine from default (Quick Access) to "This PC". The old windows 7/8 style.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know this is a Win 10 forum, but by chance someone might be able to advise about Outlook 2019. In the left navigation panel at the bottom, there's a menu bar with shortcuts. How do I get that bar to disappear altogether?
That is the "compact navigation" area.
Simply click the dots and choose "Navigation Options" and uncheck the box.

Capture3.PNG

I actually find it quite useful and use it to switch from mail to people to calendar and back.
You can reduce the number of items and move them up or down so that they are displayed in a useful manner from left to right

Ask a Question