File explorer freezes on mouse right-click

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That would seem to be a pretty unique problem.

Do you have issues when you use the "right click" anywhere else.... desktop, taskbar, start button??
Is this an issue solely with your user account? Have you tried as another user?
Have you tried Safe Mode to see if the problem persists?
Are you OR have you in the past used any of the multitude of third party software products for adding and or subtracting items from the context menu(s)??
When it freezes, do you actually see a context menu?
Does it ever unfreeze or do you have to restart explorer?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
I have the problem if I right-click on icons on my desktop as well as file explorer. Start button and task bar are ok apart from file explorer.
I haven't tried Safe Mode or tried as another user. Nor have I used third-party software. When I right-click on a desktop icon I get the context menu. I get the freeze-up when I left-click on the specific item. For example, I right-clicked on the icon for a .pdf file, left-clicked on 'open' and then had to wait for about four minutes before the file opened; it's not that right-click doesn't work. It simply takes an eternity to do so. Maybe a new mouse would be the answer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How long has this been going on and does it seem to be getting progressively worse in terms of elapsed time before your choice is produced.

Reaction score
The problem has been with me for months, I'm not able to say for how long. I'm not aware that the freeze-up is lasting any longer.

Ask a Question