Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail.

Then, after a short while, it just stops working altogether. If I try to change folder, I get the message "Working on it..." and a green (lack of) progress bar in the address bar, but nothing happens. It just sits there and refuses to show me the contents of any folder, even "This PC".

The only way I have found to solve this is to restart the machine. As you can imagine, this isn't very practical!

Anyone any ideas? It's making it really hard to do any work. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you make the change to Always show icons never thumbnails in the Folder Options -> View menu does that prevent the issue from occurring?

Thumbnails.JPG

Reaction score
I have changed it and will see if the issue reoccurs (rebooted, so not happening now). The only problem is that I need thumbnails in certain areas, such as pictures, so this isn't really a long-term answer.

Anyway, I'll see if I get the problem again and let you know.

Thanks for the reply.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for testing.
I recall seeing some reports of certain files, I believe mostly image files or more specifically some movie type files that have caused, in the past, issues when File Explorer attempted to produce "previews" which I believe is basically what a thumbnail uses in its' rendering.

Reaction score
In case it helps anyone, I switched thumbnails back on about 6 days ago, and all has been fine since. Hope this helps someone else.

Ask a Question