SOLVED On screen keyboard

Reaction score
Win 8 always had an icon at the bottom to manually connect on screen keyboard when using in tablet mode. It was present on every page including the sign in. Is it me but with Win 10, I am am often finding no automatic keyboard and no ability to turn it on manually?

Reaction score
Never noticed this before. My Windows 10 laptop shows the little icon but my Windows 10 desktops don't.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Right click the taskbar and select "Show touch Keyboard button"

Reaction score
Yes Tim. My laptop has the icon which is amusing because it has a keyboard anyway. But I also have a 2 in 1 which I use more as a tablet with the touch screen and TS keyboard. Of course there is no keyboard icon now to load the TS keyboard when I am using this as a tablet. In fact today I logged on and could not enter my password to activate the tablet. So I had to get the full keyboard and reattach to the tablet to enter the password. Prior in Windows 8 that was not a problem because the icon for the on screen keyboard was always there to activate the TS keyboard manually if necessary. Even in win 8 the TS Keyboard failed to always automatically load so the manual icon was a godsend. If touch screen is working it is fine but if the keyboard fails to show you are stuck. Carrying the attached keyboard around defeats the purpose.
Dave your solution only works if the full keyboard is attached which defeats the purpose of the touch screen.
Is the icon hidden or have MS decided it is not necessary in all Win 10 devices?

Reaction score
Mine seems to work the way davehc describes. Selecting the option puts the icon on the Taskbar.

Otherwise, if you select a box in which you want to type something does the keyboard not open automatically?

There are two different onscreen keyboards. The one in Windows ease of access, which everyone has and the one for the touchscreen. There is also a option in the Settings-Devices, Typing section.

Reaction score
OK - to those who have the frustration of touch screen keyboard not appearing, on a tablet format, go to bottom right tool bar area, and press on the black area next to the battery symbol or any of the symbols bottom right. Press and lift off and a pop up box appears "show touch keyboard button" Check it and the keyboard symbol appears for all future use. All the other methods only give a temporary solution.

Reaction score
Right click on the status bar and click on Show touch keyboard button

Reaction score
Yes there are two keyboards, named differently to be precise, with different features and accessed diferently. I think it is beneficial to distiguish between them.

The Touch Keyboard, with button on the Task Bar is larger and more appropriate for Word Processing, whereas the 'genuiine' On Screen Keyboard is smaller (but easily resizable), and is better for computer work., They are both fairly interchangeable depending on preference. But the OnScreen Keyboard for example has Fn and Alt keys, PrnScreen, ScreenLock, ESC and the Windows Key.They both have Ctrl.Touch has Select All, Cut, Copy, Paste and a host of colourful symbols (Smileys and more).

The easy way to access the OnScreen Keyboard is Windows Key plus U which takes you to the Ease Of Access settings, one of which is the Keyboard. It does not seem you can have both Boards displayed at the same time but you are unlikely to want to..

What I have described is what I have on my Windows 10, 2-in-1 tablet/PC which has a removable hardware Keyboard and is mainly used as a small Laptop.

Ask a Question