Im stuck at choose keyboard layout screen.

Reaction score
So windows 10 crashed on restart, and now I can't get it to boot.

The problem starts here, when I try and boot. I get a blue screen that says "bad _system_config_info" system will automatically restart. Then it restarts, and says "preparing automatic repair" then goes to a screen asking for keyboard layout. Then wont accept any input. keyboard or mouse. I am using a wired keyboard and mouse BTW, it is USB and I do not have PS/2 ports on my case.

I can't even use a rescue disk, because I get to a screen that asks for "choose keyboard layout" but the keyboard wont respond. Its not my hardware because I tried putting the good HDD with working windows into the same case, and it booted just fine. I don't really know what caused the error in the first place - or why one HDD works and the other doesn't. The HDD itself does work, because I can access my files VIA; slaving the HDD to the good one.

The keyboard responds on the Bios screen, but once you try and boot from a disk. It goes to that screen. I do not have a keyboard port or mouse port on the back of my computer, only usb. So trying a different keyboard is moot. Maybe this is my anger and frustration talking; but I'm assuming this is to extortion racket you into buy a Microsoft keyboard,

I tried to SFC the corupted HDD, to no avail (didn't think it would work, but it was worth a shot)

The HDD in question was a Windows 7 pre install,(from the store) that I now regret moving to windows 10 to. So I don't have a fresh windows install. Just a rescue disk that I can't even get to load. (because I can't get past the choose keyboard layout)

Is there a program I can run from my good HDD onto the affected HDD that will fix the corrupted windows?

Can I fiddle with the corrupted windows files to delete the code that asks for my keyboard layout?Like just default it to US English, and not even ask? Its not like I can do more damage to windows then is already done. If I can get it to actually boot, then it can fix itself I hope.

Is there something else I can do?

Cant even get into safe mode, because windows requires you to choose safe mode after you boot up. I tried f8 over and over again. Unless there is another way of booting into safe mode I don't know about. These here -> http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10 all require you to have windows running first
#3 is an example of what I can't get past. "
Once you have created a USB recovery drive, use it to boot your Windows 10 device and, when you're asked to load its content, do so.

The first screen will ask you to choose the layout for your keyboard. Select the one you want to use, or if you don't see it listed, press on "See more keyboard layouts" to get the complete list of available layouts.

win10_safemode_15.png

The screen above, is what I can't get past.

Why would windows make it so you can only turn on safe mode after a successful boot? 90% of people need safe mode because they CAN'T FREAKIN BOOT!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're going to need the installation media to boot your system. You're going to need a second working system in order to acquire the ISO.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.

Ask a Question