SOLVED Windows 10 stuck at "Choose your keyboard layout" page

Reaction score
Went to bed last night and Windows was fine, after a few initial glitches it's been working without problems for more than a month. This morning, I wake up and it is showing a screen that asks me to choose my keyboard layout which does not respond to any input devices. When I manually power the computer off and back on, Windows says it's starting an automatic repair, then brings up the choose my keyboard layout page again. I can't get past it.

Note that I loaded Win10 from the download and this computer didn't come with OS disks for Win7, so I have no DVD to boot from. I am also going to be very very annoyed if I have to go buy an OS disk, reformat and lose the 20,000 pictures I have stored, It's an HP Pavilion (I can't read the model number right now, it is about four years old), has a quad-core processor.

I cannot get Win10 to go into safe mode from this configuration. As soon as Win10 starts running, it just stops seeing that my keyboard is there at all, so F8 and/or Shift-F8 have no effect -- Windows never sees any input device is there from the time it starts its automatic "repair".

If I do have to reformat and lose everything, or if I have to pay a repair shop to restore it, I guarantee the next computer I buy (and all those I get down the road) will have a fruit with a bite out of it featured prominently on it...

Reaction score
OK -- finally got into a utility that fixed the issue. Why I had the issue is still a mystery.

I finally decided to try pressing F11 for the HP System Recovery when the HP startup splash screen came on. I had been wary of this, since on an earlier occasion I noted that after loading Windows 10, when I used F11 from the HP screen, it appeared to be starting up Windows 7. I was concerned that any tools they had in there would not be compatible with Windows 10.

Well, this time I started out by trying to run a system restore. In this mode, it said it could not see that there had been any restore points set, even though I believe I have seen Windows Update create restore points. I suspect it was looking for Win7 restore points.

So then I selected the HP recovery option to fix Windows Startup. I was hoping this would fix the issue with minimal impact on the system, but again had compatibility concerns since it also displayed a Win7 startup display.

This one worked! It ran a little program saying it was attempting to repair Windows Startup, then said to click Finish to restart the computer. It said that if the fix was successful, Windows would load normally. And that's what happened.

I am very reticent to restart the computer at the moment, though I imagine I will have to eventually. I will note that this happened after the apparently successful installation of update KB3081448 on 8/28. I have no clue as to whether or not this update caused an issue.

So, if you have an HP computer that shipped with their own recovery system pre-loaded, you can try this solution. If not, you can see if your computer manufacturer was thoughtful enough to provide a similar set of tools.

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow.... now that is definitely cause for concern.
I'm wondering at this point, were you perhaps set to receive "Insider Builds"? (Fast or Slow Ring)?

Are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse? Maybe a USB cabled device might get you over this particular hump.

There are a couple of resources to use to acquire the installation media
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.

While I was typing this reply I noticed that you managed to resolve the problem, which is very good to hear.
You may still want to obtain the installation media, just in case.

Reaction score
Yeah, I do believe I will need to create a set of restore disks. Any idea how many disks it needs? I don't have any DVD-R or -RW disks around right now, I'll have to buy some.

As for if I am using a wireless keyboard or mouse, yes. I am using an 8-year-old wireless keyboard system. The receiver is connected via a USB cable and has to sit within reasonable distance (within 5 feet) of the keyboard. It's not IR, though, since the keyboard can be optically blocked from the receiver.

I may also look at getting a new wired keyboard. This one came from a much older computer and replaced a keyboard whose cord got shredded.

Finally, after getting the system up and running, I got a message in the notifications center that there was a file system error in one of my drives. It didn't say which drive, just to click to repair. I did so, and after a short period it popped up saying I needed to restart to apply fixes. I gulped and went to click it, but it disappeared. I manually restarted, still holding my breath, but Win10 loaded normally. After it came up it popped up the same message that I needed to restart, but when I clicked it, instead of restarting I got the Windows Security and Maintenance page, which again showed a message that there was a potential file system error, click to run a scan. I did so and within a few seconds the Maintenance page said there were no issues to report. No restart has been prompted since then.

So -- my best guess as to what happened, Win10 spotted a potential file system error in one of my drives (I have two expansion drives connected). Although I cannot find anything that tells me which drive it spotted the problem on, I bet that overnight it spotted the error and tried to run a fix and auto-restarted. The Win10 startup was broken by the fix attempt, and HP the startup recovery option was (thank all the gods) able to fix it.

Hopefully, this is the last I will see of this issue!

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any idea how many disks it needs?
The installation media typically takes one DVD or a USB ThumbDrive (my personal preference) 4 gigs or larger.
You might also consider taking some steps to image that disk
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Additionally the native System File Checker may help reveal any problem system files that may be corrupt.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and see what it might find.

AND if, going forward you experience any additional data corruption you might want to look at inspecting that disk for problem spots, using the native Check Disk utitilty
Admin Command Prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer "Y" when prompted to run on next startup
type
exit
restart
Wait till it finishes all five stages. It will take a long time, depending on the size of the disk.
Event Viewer will contain the results.

Reaction score
If you run setup.exe from the USB within a running Windows 7 system then you will not need a Windows 10 Key. But if you boot from the USB Drive you will need a Windows 10 key. The way Microsoft has implemented the "FREE UPGRADE" is that you have to upgrade from a running Windows 7 system to end up with an activated Windows 10 system. If you boot from the USB drive you are NOT installing Windows 10 from a running Windows 7 system and you will be asked for a Windows 10 Key.

I tried booting from the USB to do the install and got the screen asking for the Key. I've upgraded my ASUS and HP Laptops to Windows 10 with no problems. The process went very smooth. However, I've been unable to upgrade my HP Desktop Windows 7 Pro 64bit System. The Windows 10 upgrade inspects my Desktop System and says there are no problems and its ready to upgrade. So I started out with the standard Windows 10 online Upgrade. Everything proceeds as a normal upgrade. After the setup installs the Windows 10 files the setup reboots and starts loading Windows 10. After a couple of minutes the Windows 10 boot up stops and I get a Sky Blue Screen asking me to "Choose Your Keyboard Layout" with OPTIONS for US, Albanion, Arabic, Armenian Phonetic, Ect. I click US and then I'm presented with a screen that says "Choose An Option" Troubleshoot, Turn off your PC. I've tried troubleshoot with no success. I have to choose Turn Off Your PC. When I reboot I'm back in Windows 7 again with the following message: We couldn't install Windows 10. We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10. 0xC19000101-0x20017. The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation. So then I decided to try creating a Windows 10 installation Boot USB and install by booting from the USB to do a clean install. I got to a screen that asked for a Windows 10 Key. So I stopped right there and called Microsoft Support and they confirmed that if I skipped entering a Windows 10 Key I would end up with an inactivated install only good for 30 days. Microsoft remoted into my HP Desktop system and attempted to do the upgrade for me. They had the same problem that I had been having and therefore the upgrade failed for them as well. My Ref # was 1308992102. I talked with Microsoft rep. Mikhael Alexander.

Microsoft then emailed me instructions to disable all drivers ect. and retry the upgrade, So I went one step further. I removed my nvidia graphics card and replaced with a regular VGA adapter, I removed all wireless devices like mouse and keyboard, Bluetooth, USB drives, ect. Basically I stripped the system down to bare bones and then tried the upgrade yet again. However, it ended up in the same place with the same sky blue screen asking my to "Choose Your Keyboard Layout".

I've searched the Internet trying to find the solution to this Windows 10 Upgrade problem and nothing I found has worked. From my searching its my impression that there are thousands of people trying to solve this. Another thing that is mentioned is a BIOS adjustment for UEFI on many Websites. However, most systems being upgraded don't have UEFI BIOS. UEFI is relatively new and the vast majority of PCs still use the Legacy BIOS. In fact my ASUS and HP Laptops that use Legacy BIOS upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64bit without any problems. This Windows 10 Upgrade problem probably has something to do with some kind of corrupted Windows 7 file that is hanging around and coming into the Windows 10 update. Since Microsoft has made no provision for the "FREE UPGRADE" in the case of upgrade problems we're left unable to upgrade. A clean install would probably fix the problem. However, the way Microsoft has set this up, a clean install leaves you with an inactivated Windows 10. So if you decide to go with a clean install to get around the in place upgrade problem you'll need to spend $200 to purchase Windows 10 Pro.

Reaction score
I had this on one of my systems. It was an HP desktop (UEFI bios) to which I'd added an SSD drive to boot from. So, there were two disks in there both with boot partitions. When I removed the second disk and just had an SSD disk in there, the upgrade went OK.

Is that similar to your experience?

Alan

Reaction score
Here are a 3 posts I just came across that may prove helpful:

first one Posted on October 12, 2015 by Paul Thurrott in Windows 10 @

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...se-windows-7-8-or-8-1-product-key-to-activate

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Today, Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 build for Windows Insiders, and Brad has a full write-up about what’s new. But what I’m particularly excited about is a major change to product activation: With this build, Microsoft will now let customers enter a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10.

This is a major change, and one that I think will address an issue that I and many other upgraders have experienced: That is, when you clean install Windows 10 after have already upgraded (from Windows 7 or 8.1), it is supposed to auto-activate. But many times it does not, and when customers contacted Microsoft support, they were told they would have to install the old OS again, and then upgrade again. To be clear, this isnothow this system is supposed to work.

Here’s how Microsoft describes the change.

“We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.”

If I’m reading this correctly and not missing anything, it means that you can use any Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key to activate an upgrade or clean install of Windows 10. I assume that certain keys—like those provided with a PC—will only work on the same PC for which the PC was created. But this still a big improvement over what was already a very generous system. (Assuming it worked properly, which it did not all the time.)

This also calls into question the point of the free Windows 10 upgrade, however. As I’ve written in the past, the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion was never about giving customers free copies of Windows 10. It was about getting as many PCs already out in the world as possible upgraded to Windows 10. That is, Microsoft is trying to eliminate as many older Windows versions from circulation as possible in order to make it easier to keep the installed base up to date with new features and, more important, security updates.

I get questions about this all the time. For example, just this morning someone on Twitter asked me the following (which I’ve edited for non-Twitter clarity):

“It would be nice if, when installing Windows 10, you could enter the product key from a previous version. I’m building a new PC and have an unused Windows 8 upgrade license. So I have to install Windows 7, Windows 8, then upgrade to Windows 10 before wiping and clean-install Windows 10.”

Yeah, that would be nice. But it completely bypasses the point of the free Windows 10 upgrade, which isn’t to give you a free copy of Windows 10 for a previous Windows license you never used. It’s to upgradeexisting, in-use PCsto Windows 10.

But the thing is, if this new policy is what I believe it is, this guy’s wish has come true: He can use the product key from the Windows 7 license and just clean install Windows 10. There’s no need to upgrade multiple times and then clean install.

This will require lot of testing. And I am very happy to do that.

Second Posted on October 12, 2015 by Brad Sams in Windows 10 @

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...eased-a-new-build-of-windows-10-version-10565

Microsoft Has Released A New Build Of Windows 10, Version 10565

Microsoft has announced today that a new build of Windows 10, 10565, is available for testing for those of you who are participating in the Fast ring of the Insider program. The download, which is out now, has several new features including the new Skype messaging apps, tab previews in Edge, syncing of favorites and reading lists in Edge, a few updates to Cortana, updates to title bars and more.

This is a large update for Windows 10 and is representative of many of the improvements that we will see with Threshold Wave 2 which is expected to arrive in November.

Along with the additional improvements listed above, there are new icons, improved context menus on the Start menu, an easier way to manage the default printer, and quite a few bug fixes as well.

Here are some things that been have fixed:

• You should no longer see a warning message in the Settings app > Update & Security > Windows Update regarding changed ring settings for preview builds unless you actually change your ring settings.
  • Background audio playback works again when apps like Groove are minimized.
  • We fixed the issue where clicking on the system icons in the notification area quickly results in Windows Shell blocking the launch of fly-outs like Audio, Networking, etc.
  • After Build 10525, we heard a lot of feedback that some context menus were too big for mouse. We’ve made adjustments to many of the context menus to make them smaller for using them with a mouse.
  • You can now pin contacts to the Start menu from the People app.
  • Certain apps won’t appear twice anymore when pinned to the taskbar.
  • Hiding desktop icons via context menu on the desktop now works.
  • Windows Store apps should now be updating automatically.
Known issues:

• The search box does not work if you are in a locale where Cortana is not available. We are currently investigating workarounds.
  • The Xbox app for Windows 10 will consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app. Closing the Xbox app will release your PC’s memory.
  • WebM and VP9 have been temporarily removed from the flight builds. We continue to develop a VP9 implementation that we intend to ship in Windows. Expect VP9 to return soon in a future release.
  • Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size will experience a bluescreen on upgrade and will roll back to the previous build.
As usual, you should not install this build on your primary machine as it is part of the Fast ring, in fact, my Dell XPS 13 keeps BSODing during the install process, so be extra careful this time around.

Once installed, we will post a gallery and do a deeper dive into the new features.

You can read more about the update, here.

Next post by Microsoft's Gabe Aul October 12, 2015 10:35 am @

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10565/

UPDATE 10/16: We have rolled out Build 10565 to Windows Insiders in the Slow ring.

UPDATE 10/15: We have published the ISOs for Build 10565 for Windows Insiders who would like to move to the latest build through a clean install or like to validate using our new activation experience during setup as noted below in this blog post. Grab the ISOs here.

Hi everyone,

Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. This build has quite a few new features and improvements so we’re really excited to get this one out to you for you to try out. One thing I want to call out up front is that this build and associated Language Packs won’t be available until later this week for Windows Insiders in Russia and Turkey. UPDATE 10/13: All Language Packs are now available including Language Packs for Windows Insiders in Russia and Turkey.

Here’s what’s new in this build:
Skype messaging, calling and video experience: As we’ve announced previously, Skype messaging, calling and video capabilities will come integrated into Windows 10 through the Messaging, Phone and Skype video universal Windows apps. These Windows applications enable quick and easy, free calling and messaging to other Skype users across phones, over 3G/4G and Wi-Fi tablets and to PCs Wi-Fi. With this build, you can preview the integrated capabilities on your PC while an upcoming Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build will have these integrated capabilities for you to preview soon on mobile devices. Try things like Quick Reply from Action Center where incoming notifications will come in with the option to reply inline without opening the application. This is an early preview and you can expect some bugs, and more features to come as we deliver monthly updates.

Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: In Microsoft Edge, you can now hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Syncing Favorites and Reading list items in Microsoft Edge: In this build, you’ll see a first look at the new syncing feature in Microsoft Edge that lets you sync your Favorites and Reading list items. We are still working on refining it, but definitely check it out and let us know what you think.

Cortana improvements: Cortana is able to intelligently understand your inked notes – setting reminders based on locations, times and numbers that she can understand from your digital annotations.

We are also rolling out new features in Cortana to help you keep track of your leisure time, including movie and event reminders. Cortana will keep track of your bookings for movies and ticketed events through your email confirmations. Two hours prior to the event start time, you’ll get helpful information to be sure you know where to go and get there on time, including an option to book and track an Uber ride directly from Cortana.

More vibrant title bars: Thanks to feedback from Windows Insiders, with this build you can now enjoy your title bars with a full color intensity that matches the rest of your theme. Title bars will now appear darker. You can adjust the color by going to Settings > Personalization > Colors. Colored title bars will appear only if “Show color on Start, Taskbar, Action Center, and Title bars” is enabled.

Improved context menus on Start:You will notice we have made some adjustments and improvements to the context menus on Start including new icons for tile adjustments.

New icons:We know Windows Insiders love new icons – this build has another batch of new icons for devices (check out Device Manager). Registry Editor finally gets a new icon!

Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Managing your default printer: We are introducing a new mode that makes your default printer the last printer you used. This change helps ensure the best printer is preselected in inbox print dialogs. You can manage this behavior in Settings > Devices > Printer & Scanners to change this to the previous way Windows handled default printers. The ability to set a default printer by network location has been removed.

Here are some things we have fixed:
  • You should no longer see a warning message in the Settings app > Update & Security > Windows Update regarding changed ring settings for preview builds unless you actually change your ring settings.
  • Background audio playback works again when apps like Groove are minimized.
  • We fixed the issue where clicking on the system icons in the notification area quickly results in Windows Shell blocking the launch of fly-outs like Audio, Networking, etc.
  • After Build 10525, we heard a lot of feedback that some context menus were too big for mouse. We’ve made adjustments to many of the context menus to make them smaller for using them with a mouse.
  • You can now pin contacts to the Start menu from the People app.
  • Certain apps won’t appear twice anymore when pinned to the taskbar.
  • Hiding desktop icons via context menu on the desktop now works.
  • Windows Store apps should now be updating automatically.
Known issues:
  • The search box does not work if you are in a locale where Cortana is not available. We are currently investigating workarounds.
  • The Xbox app for Windows 10 will consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app. Closing the Xbox app will release your PC’s memory.
  • WebM and VP9 have been temporarily removed from the flight builds. We continue to develop a VP9 implementation that we intend to ship in Windows. Expect VP9 to return soon in a future release.
  • Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size will experience a bluescreen on upgrade and will roll back to the previous build.
I hope you enjoy this new build and try out all of the new changes. Please report problems and give us suggestions in the Feedback app.

Thanks,
g

Updated October 16, 2015 10:24 am

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565

Reaction score
I tried unsuccessfully a number of times to preform an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I wanted to do an in-place upgrade so that I could avoid reloading all my software and all the effort involved with rebuilding my HP Desktop. Most importantly I wanted to take advantage of Microsoft's Free Windows 10 Upgrade offer and save $200. The Free Upgrade offer was implemented my Microsoft to only result in an activated Windows 10 install when you do an Upgrade. If you have problems and want to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 you wouldn't have an activated install because you don't have a Windows 10 Key and the Windows 10 install would expire in 30 days at which time you will be required to spend $200 for Windows 10 Pro so you can enter the Windows 10 Key to activate the install. Every time I tried to upgrade my HP Desktop it ended with a Sky Blue Screen asking me to "Choose Your Keyboard Layout". I stripped the computer down to bare bones hoping to get the upgrade to work but got the same results. Then on Oct 18, 2015 I found the posts about Microsoft's Oct 12, 2015 release of Windows 10 Build 10565 that allows the Windows 7 Key to be used for doing a clean Windows 10 install that results in an activated Windows 10 install. So I downloaded the 10565 ISO Build and created a USB Boot Drive with it. I didn't want to do a Clean Install but it appeared that was the only way to install Windows 10 and since I could now use my Windows 7 Key to activate I decided to proceed with the Clean Install. I booted from the USB install Drive and formatted my Drive C: and then proceeded with the Clean Install using my Windows 7 Key. The install went right in very smoothly and the HP Desktop in now running Windows 10. It was quick and smooth and it is activated. I'll have to reload all my software but at least this solved the Windows 10 Upgrade problem I was having. Apparently, some configuration of the Windows 7 Pro was causing the Windows 10 Upgrade to fail.

Reaction score
OK -- finally got into a utility that fixed the issue. Why I had the issue is still a mystery.

I finally decided to try pressing F11 for the HP System Recovery when the HP startup splash screen came on. I had been wary of this, since on an earlier occasion I noted that after loading Windows 10, when I used F11 from the HP screen, it appeared to be starting up Windows 7. I was concerned that any tools they had in there would not be compatible with Windows 10.

Well, this time I started out by trying to run a system restore. In this mode, it said it could not see that there had been any restore points set, even though I believe I have seen Windows Update create restore points. I suspect it was looking for Win7 restore points.

So then I selected the HP recovery option to fix Windows Startup. I was hoping this would fix the issue with minimal impact on the system, but again had compatibility concerns since it also displayed a Win7 startup display.

This one worked! It ran a little program saying it was attempting to repair Windows Startup, then said to click Finish to restart the computer. It said that if the fix was successful, Windows would load normally. And that's what happened.

I am very reticent to restart the computer at the moment, though I imagine I will have to eventually. I will note that this happened after the apparently successful installation of update KB3081448 on 8/28. I have no clue as to whether or not this update caused an issue.

So, if you have an HP computer that shipped with their own recovery system pre-loaded, you can try this solution. If not, you can see if your computer manufacturer was thoughtful enough to provide a similar set of tools.

-Doug
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write about your problem and its resilution . I came home from from church to hear my 9 year old grandson say the computer would not come on. Indeed, it went to a black screen. I jumped to the conclusion that, while playing online games, that he had downloaded a lethal virus.

The frustration came after booting to F10 and starting the Auto Repair, it opted to a blue screen, Choose your keybord configuation,, and nether my keybord nor my mouse would respond. After 3 days of trying to find a fix, I found YOUR FIX. And it WORKED! AGAINE, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR FIX. The G-Dad.

Reaction score
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write about your problem and its resilution . I came home from from church to hear my 9 year old grandson say the computer would not come on. Indeed, it went to a black screen. I jumped to the conclusion that, while playing online games, that he had downloaded a lethal virus.

The frustration came after booting to F10 and starting the Auto Repair, it opted to a blue screen, Choose your keybord configuation,, and nether my keybord nor my mouse would respond. After 3 days of trying to find a fix, I found YOUR FIX. And it WORKED! AGAINE, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR FIX. The G-Dad.

This is what is happening to me exactly -- -but how did you press F10 if your keyboard, like mine, was not responding?

Reaction score
Went to bed last night and Windows was fine, after a few initial glitches it's been working without problems for more than a month. This morning, I wake up and it is showing a screen that asks me to choose my keyboard layout which does not respond to any input devices. When I manually power the computer off and back on, Windows says it's starting an automatic repair, then brings up the choose my keyboard layout page again. I can't get past it.

Note that I loaded Win10 from the download and this computer didn't come with OS disks for Win7, so I have no DVD to boot from. I am also going to be very very annoyed if I have to go buy an OS disk, reformat and lose the 20,000 pictures I have stored, It's an HP Pavilion (I can't read the model number right now, it is about four years old), has a quad-core processor.

I cannot get Win10 to go into safe mode from this configuration. As soon as Win10 starts running, it just stops seeing that my keyboard is there at all, so F8 and/or Shift-F8 have no effect -- Windows never sees any input device is there from the time it starts its automatic "repair".

If I do have to reformat and lose everything, or if I have to pay a repair shop to restore it, I guarantee the next computer I buy (and all those I get down the road) will have a fruit with a bite out of it featured prominently on it...
Thank you for posting this! I was able to follow your steps and repair the computer!

RitaC

Reaction score

Reaction score
I'm so upset, then i saw your post and realized I'm going through the same exavlct thing right now and i take classes online! Please help me i dont have OS disc and also downloaded from wesite directly to update my Windows spec matched mine and your blue screen asking for what language my keyboard will use and everytime i try to do anything after the blue Windows 10 shows yp all the ports stop working and i even have a touchscreen and it doesn't even recognize my finger. How did you fix yours? I think i have a backup of either Windows 7 with all my apps i'll need or if i uploaded Windows 10 right after i downloaded it, but i dont know bevause when i try to restore my files it goes in Windows7 mode and wont recognize and anything. It wont do anything. I'm so frustrated and worked on the BIOS myself ALL NIGHT! Please explain how you exactly were able to arleast get to the main program either through somehow accesing my backup i have on my 2nd internal hard drive. I am so stupid i should've made a restoration disc or did it on a USB vard, never again.Hope i hear back from you soon! If not I've got to at least eat today and forget about it for a minute. AT LEAST I can access everything through my mobile phone. That's one good thing. Let me know at your convenience! !!! Thanks a million, Regard, Maribeth Higgins

Reaction score

-Doug
How long did it take for the repair program to finish? I'm currently letting it do its repairs with also an Hp Pavillion.

Reaction score
Its fine, I already fixed mine. Although the startup repair didn't work, I wiped the system clean, no back up at all. I just changed the SATA settings in the BIOS set up. I had disabled both SATA controllers, rebooted then went back to the BIOS setup. I then enabled the SATA controller one and switched it to the AHCI mode and then rebooted it. It took me to the whole black and white page asking me how I wanted to start windows and I chose start windows normally. It booted up and allowed me to setup windows.

Ask a Question