One Drive is full

Reaction score
So, log onto my computer the other day to find i cant access any of the documents i have created, my email account, or my photos. Get a message that my "one drive" is full.??? Didnt even know i had a "one Drive" But it seems that everything i do on Windows 10 - that i think is on my computer..actually is not and if i want to access my own documents, emails and photos... I have to pay to have more "one drive" storage??????????? Who authorised that all my stuff saves to one drive? Not me - no, i thought when i purchased this computer it was like all other computers i had purchased in pthe past. But no, silly me, this computer has that bloody awful windows 10 loaded on it. And windows 10 decides that everything you create stores not on your local c drive as you may have thought. The result of this is that i have now lost all my photos documents, and emails.
Go windows 10, you totally useless platform. I have now had to delete my email account and reinstall it and have lost valuable documents. I ******* HATE windows 10

Reaction score
OneDrive only mirrors your library folders on your PC. And, as far as I know, you have to physically log in to OneDrive with your Microsoft account for it to back up your library folders. Are you sure your files aren't saved in your public libraries folders (C:Users/Public/Pubic Documents or Public Pictures etc).

I have a OneDrive account, but I don't sync any of my data to it. I've never logged in to the OneDrive app.

Reaction score
I have never logged into one drive or created an account or a password for it. All I did was create documents and assumed that these were storing in my C drive in the my documents folder. But they were not saving there at all. They were saving to the documents folder on the one drive. The actual "my documents' folder was completely empty. I never realised this was happening as the folder I was accessing was listed as "Documents" in the quick access pane of the file explorer. It was only when I went to access a document and got the message " your one drive is full" and saw that there was a red "x" next to the folder that this became an issue. Since then I have been informed that the one drive is the default drive that windows 10, and Microsoft office - saves your documents and other files to. Which i'm sure is just Microsofts way of scamming you for more money to keep adding space to it. I think it is disgusting that Microsoft has designed a platform that gives Microsoft control over my personal files and documents, and that Microsoft could actually block me from accessing them by hiding them in its "cloud" and then asking me to pay for additional cloud space just to access them. I did manage to recover my documents - but still have no idea what happened to my .pst file for my outlook as I couldn't get those files back and had to reinstall my whole outlook to get my emails working again. Windows 10 has never been a great platform. Windows 7 was fine, but windows 8 was a nightmare and when I bought this computer I had no choice. It's all you can get now so you just have to try and make the best of it. It comes with a heap of useless "Apps" that I neither need nor want, and turns your desktop computer into something that mimics the ipad or tablet instead of behaving like the desktop computer that you bought because you didn't want a tablet. It is not synching my files. Synching would indicate that it is copying files - thereby leaving a copy on the computer. I do not synch my files to the cloud. I don't purposely put anything in the cloud. The cloud is controlled by the likes of Microsoft / Apple / Google etc. I prefer to control my own files thank you very much. I have learnt my lesson and have created my own folders on my own C drive now and I only create and store my files there, and back them up to my own external hard drive. But my point is... how many other people did not know that this is how Windows 10 and Microsoft Office now work?

Reaction score
I also don't use OneDrive, prefer archival copies of my data on NAS drives. With no files in OneDrive I usually end up disabling OneDrive on my computers, turn off the icon in the Notification Area, remove/disable from the Startup in Task Manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First....I was not aware that you could save anything to a Microsoft One Drive Account in the cloud without first having a Microsoft Account.
Second.... Windows 10 has an applet called "Storage" within "Settings" where you can dictate where it saves a lot of different things.
Third.... OneDrive tells you how much space is being used and how much space you have in total.
Capture.PNG

Lastly, most if not all applications such as Word or Excel, Media Player and countless others have options built into the application that allow you to decide where the default save location is and what the default save format will be.

Reaction score
I honestly have never heard of the ondrive app only saving files to the cloud. To my knowledge, the onedrive app only syncs existing library folders by default. Did you check your Public Documents/Public Pictures, etc., folders to see if that's where your local content is?

Reaction score
One Drive in W10 versions 1709 and 1803 has a settings page titled "Auto Save". Here you select either This PC Only or One Drive for Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders. Click on the One Drive Cloud symbol to access the settings page.

Ask a Question