SOLVED OS Cloned from HD to SSD but now WHAT?

Reaction score
Okay, I am back with the following updates in hopes that I can get some guidance on next steps to ensure a properly running OS for the long-term (i.e., so that the computer is not confused and Windows updates go the right location). I have never had 2 separate drives, let alone, 2 different types of drives, so I have logistical / technical newbie questions:

1. The first image is a screenshot of the SSD drive and the programs which were cloned from the HDD by Samsung data migration - note that I have unplugged the HD drive for now, until I now what to do next. The machine booted up just fine from the SSD.
Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 3.11.06 PM.png
2. The second and third images are a list of all the programs that are now on the SDD which were also cloned from the HDD - I just want the OS (and if it's a good idea for speed, also Creative Suite CS 5.5) on the SSD. Should some of these programs be on the SSD drive for best performance? Can I keep the rest of them on the HDD and delete them from the SSD or do I have to reformat the HDD entirely and reinstall them? One of the users (Data) mentioned that Firefox and Chrome can quickly trash the SSD - so does this mean I should store them on the HDD? How exactly do I store some programs onto the SSD and some to the HDD and not have the computer get confused when starting up? In other words, if only OS-related programs and apps on the SSD and Program Files (such as Chrome and Firefox on the HDD), will Firefox and Chrome still appear in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Menu after start-up? How does that work?

Attachments

• SSDPrograms-1.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 333
  • SSDPrograms.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Reaction score
So, the solution was actually in calling Samsung. It really did not need to be complicated but reading some of these forums had me freaked out about Chrome and Firefox having been copied over to the SSD. But I just changed their download locations to the D drive (the HD that finally got reformatted once I called Samsung so they could walk me through how to do that given that I had initially gotten a signature conflict error when I reattached the HD after testing the SSD clone). The key was going into Windows Disk Management and right-clicking on the HD (renamed Drive 1 by Windows but showing as offline because of the signature conflict). Right after forcing it be online, I was able to erase each volume partition and reformat the drive to be ready as a storage device. Now I am just changing the default location for all photos, documents and downloads to the D drive (the Hard Drive). I did create a recovery USB drive and will have the SSD backed up as an ISO to the HD once a every two weeks or so. Plus Cloud back-ups. All set and running like a dream now! The Samsung tech said it was fine to have my most used programs (including Chrome and Firefox) on the SSD drive so that they load up quickly - as long as download folders are not on the SSD, should be fine. He said the SSDs these days are very robust!

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Finally you took the plunge.

I still advise you tame Firefox browser.sessionstore.interval from default 15000 (15 seconds) to something more realistic. like 180000 (30 minutes) (I went with 3600000 (60 minutes)

bsessionstore.gif

Ask a Question