OS Engineer Advice Needed

Reaction score
I somehow changed the path of my Desktop folder and it no longer shows up in File Explorer (Please see attached screenshots). It now goes to Dropbox, which I deleted from my machine, months ago.

I can still access the desktop window and have created a shortcut in my Quick Access menu, although I want to get it back where it belongs. Nothing I've tried has worked, so far, including resetting defaults in the Properties menus and checking the box next to "Show hidden files, folders, and drives", which is how I found the .ini files in the Documents folder.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

documents-folder.JPG
desktop-path.JPG
file-explorer.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Basically the Quick Access entries and Libraries [under This PC] are shortcuts to the actual folder under C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\. Right-click of those items and Properties will show that in the Location.
It does appear the Desktop folder got been moved to the Documents folder, you probably could move it back.
Mine showing where the actual folders are:
1687115309688.png

As for an "OS Engineer", this and most Windows forums are not officially with Microsoft [shown in the information section at the bottom of the pages] and maybe never know if any of their programmers are visiting.

Last edited:

Ask a Question