OS freezes

Reaction score
Hi!

2 days ago I stated experiencing constant freezing with windows 10.
After a few forced restarts, the problem escalated to BSOD that appeared after 10 minutes of very light use. Diagnostic tool disabled the antivirus process, and although BSOD has stopped, the freezing continues. A few restarts ago, windows got me into a temporary account, the freezing is not that common now(but still exists), but I cannot access my files.
Things I tried:
Disabling fast startup(didn't work)
Running "sfc /SCANNOW"(froze everytime I tried, once stopped at 88% and told me about some log file)
Startup repair(Couldn't access the menu, also with DVD, so I couldn't even start it)

Help please:(

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Remezzh,

Any chance you could post your log from the System File Check for us?
  • Press Winkey + X key
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type the following command (or copy & paste from here), then press Enter key
    • findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
  • Type exit to close the Command window
  • Now through File Explorer go to C:\Windows\System32
    • In this folder locate the sfcdetails.txt file
    • When you reply to this message here click the Upload File button and attach that file

You mentioned BSODs also. Do you recall the specific error code?

If you do post that information here.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Remezzh,

Any chance you could post your log from the System File Check for us?
  • Press Winkey + X key
  • Select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type the following command (or copy & paste from here), then press Enter key
    • findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
  • Type exit to close the Command window
  • Now through File Explorer go to C:\Windows\System32
    • In this folder locate the sfcdetails.txt file
    • When you reply to this message here click the Upload File button and attach that file

You mentioned BSODs also. Do you recall the specific error code?

If you do post that information here.

Regards,

Regedit32

The BSOD says "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    378 KB · Views: 634

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Remessh,

With so many Windows components corrupted (re your SFC Details), you may well have malware or a virus corrupting your system.

Do you have any programs you can run to scan your system for malware and virus?

As for the Critical Process Died error: that can point to any number of things):
  • Corrupt Drivers
  • Corrupt Registry
  • Faulty ram or HD
  • etcetera
Did the BSOD give you a specific alphanumeric code; e.g. 0x0000000EF

If you press Winkey + X | select Event Viewer | expand "Windows Logs" in left pane | click on "Applications" (are there any entries with a yellow triangle or red circle with an exclamation mark)?

If Yes double click and note the specific error and any codes assigned them.

So that same with the System a few lines down from "Windows Log"

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Remessh,

With so many Windows components corrupted (re your SFC Details), you may well have malware or a virus corrupting your system.

Do you have any programs you can run to scan your system for malware and virus?

As for the Critical Process Died error: that can point to any number of things):

Corrupt Drivers
Corrupt Registry
Faulty ram or HD
etcetera

Did the BSOD give you a specific alphanumeric code; e.g. 0x0000000EF

If you press Winkey + X | select Event Viewer | expand "Windows Logs" in left pane | click on "Applications" (are there any entries with a yellow triangle or red circle with an exclamation mark)?

If Yes double click and note the specific error and any codes assigned them.

So that same with the System a few lines down from "Windows Log"

I'm answering through my phone since it has become really hard to use my pc. BSOD didn't give any specific problem, but the recovery screen gave this one: 0xc000000f.

Plus, when starting event viewer, nothing really shows; photo attached.

Attachments

• tmp_26025-rsz_tmp_26025-20160322_1658091836454211-268869848.png
    tmp_26025-rsz_tmp_26025-20160322_1658091836454211-268869848.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out potential hardware failure (as a matter of fact, I suspect it is). There's 2 ways to go about it. You can start troubleshooting hardware, which can take many, many hours. Or, do a clean install of Windows, and see if it's still freezing. If you clean install Windows, and still have BSOD's and freezes, it's 99,9% a hardware issue.

I'd run prime95 for a few passes and see if you have a bad stick of ram. Check your hdd's SMART data, make sure that's not failing. That would rule in/out a couple easy issues.

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out potential hardware failure (as a matter of fact, I suspect it is). There's 2 ways to go about it. You can start troubleshooting hardware, which can take many, many hours. Or, do a clean install of Windows, and see if it's still freezing. If you clean install Windows, and still have BSOD's and freezes, it's 99,9% a hardware issue.

I'd run prime95 for a few passes and see if you have a bad stick of ram. Check your hdd's SMART data, make sure that's not failing. That would rule in/out a couple easy issues.

I have an SSD, is there any difference? Plus, the entire machine(but the power source) is practically brand new(2 months old) - Can it still be faulty?
I don't really want to format the computer right away, how can I make sure it's the only solution?

Regedit32

Reaction score
0xc000000f

Hi,

If you are getting that specific error code its quite likely Windows is having trouble accessing the partition on Hard Drive to load correctly.

If you can get to Safe Mode, then open a elevated Command Prompt, (i.e. Run as administrator) and enter the following command:
  • chkdsk /r c:
  • Note: replace C: with the partition windows is installed on if necessary
Once the Check Disk is complete you will get one of two messages:
  • Windows has checked the file system and found no problems
    • In this case the Hard Disk partition is theoretically fine and nothing left to do
  • Windows has made corrections to the file system
    • If you get this message there was an issue that has been corrected.
    • You ought to run the chkdsk /r c: command again until you get "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems".

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have an SSD, is there any difference? Plus, the entire machine(but the power source) is practically brand new(2 months old) - Can it still be faulty?
I don't really want to format the computer right away, how can I make sure it's the only solution?
I've had a brand new stick of ram go bad. I may or may not be hardware, but you have to start troubleshooting somewhere. Ruling out the easy stuff is best way to start.

It's either hardware or software. BSOD's are more times than not hardware. Although they can be driver related or software to a lesser extent. Something's happened between the time you bought it and now. Try what regedit suggests. Try prime95, and check the ssd's health with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo. That will rule out the most common hardware issues. Then you have to start looking at software. Any major changes in the last few days?

Reaction score
Hi,

If you are getting that specific error code its quite likely Windows is having trouble accessing the partition on Hard Drive to load correctly.

If you can get to Safe Mode, then open a elevated Command Prompt, (i.e. Run as administrator) and enter the following command:
  • chkdsk /r c:
  • Note: replace C: with the partition windows is installed on if necessary
Once the Check Disk is complete you will get one of two messages:
  • Windows has checked the file system and found no problems
    • In this case the Hard Disk partition is theoretically fine and nothing left to do
  • Windows has made corrections to the file system
    • If you get this message there was an issue that has been corrected.
    • You ought to run the chkdsk /r c: command again until you get "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems".

Regards,

Regedit32

It says that the volume is being used by another process and that it's locked.

Reaction score
I've had a brand new stick of ram go bad. I may or may not be hardware, but you have to start troubleshooting somewhere. Ruling out the easy stuff is best way to start.

It's either hardware or software. BSOD's are more times than not hardware. Although they can be driver related or software to a lesser extent. Something's happened between the time you bought it and now. Try what regedit suggests. Try prime95, and check the ssd's health with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo. That will rule out the most common hardware issues. Then you have to start looking at software. Any major changes in the last few days?

No major changes...
I thought maybe I can refresh windows and get it over with, but I'm scared that it will freeze during and I will lose all the data.

Ask a Question