Outlook 2019 - cannot delete emails

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having trouble deleting email from outlook 2019.
  • If I try to delete an individual email, it disappears but returns if I change folders
  • If I try to delete an individual email by clicking shift delete, again it disappears but returns if I change folders
I have selected the following delete options:
  • Mark item for deletion but don't move them automatically. Items marked for deletion will be permanently deleted when the items in the mailbox are purged
  • Purge items when switching folders while online.
This used to work for this account when i was on outlook 2013.

Any clues? My email is a disaster now.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Maybe not a cure but have seen it, Have you checked with your E-Mail service provider [can be different from your ISP/Internet Service Provider] as to whether a copy is being saved on their server and is not deleting when deleted from Outlook?

Reaction score
Maybe not a cure but have seen it, Have you checked with your E-Mail service provider [can be different from your ISP/Internet Service Provider] as to whether a copy is being saved on their server and is not deleting when deleted from Outlook?

Thanks for the suggestion, Maybe. I can check, I guess. I can still delete from my old server through which is running outlook 2013.

Reaction score
Nothing has changed between 2016 and 2019 in terms of how Outlook sets up an account. Yes it will use IMAP by default "if the server supports it" which in your scenario, it obviously does.

In reference to this being an "old problem" - for the sake accuracy, it's not a problem, it's the way the POP3 and IMAP protocols work regardless of what <email client> is used (of which Outlook is only one). Any <email client> will function the same way in terms of what gets downloaded/sync'd etc

Open Outlook
Click File
Account Settings
Again Select Account Settings
Then Select the your Account in the list
and Select Change
Then More Setting
Then in Internet E-mail Setting
Select advance
You will see the Option you are looking for
Put a check mark in Leave a copy of message on the Server (as shown in the Pic)

If this doesnt work then we might have to take different steps and set up the new account in POP3 and back up current emails on a .PST

Lets See

Reaction score
Hi All,

• If I try to delete an individual email, it disappears but returns if I change folders
  • If I try to delete an individual email by clicking shift delete, again it disappears but returns if I change folders
  • Mark item for deletion but don't move them automatically. Items marked for deletion will be permanently deleted when the items in the mailbox are purged
I have been going through this recently while changing my Outlook 2010 accounts from POP3 to IMAP. One thing I noticed is when you delete an email, it now seems to go to the trash folder and can be removed there.

It can be confusing, especially if you have some emails you do not want removed from the server.

Reaction score
I have been going through this recently while changing my Outlook 2010 accounts from POP3 to IMAP. One thing I noticed is when you delete an email, it now seems to go to the trash folder and can be removed there.

It can be confusing, especially if you have some emails you do not want removed from the server.
A default of deleting messages in an installed E-Mail Client is they do go to Trash or Deleted items. If not wanting to also delete from the Server there is a setting in most E-Mail Clients to leave a copy on the server but one has to remember periodically to log into the Web site provided by nearly all ISPs and "clean house" or a message will come up that it is too full. The online/Webmail is convenient when working on different computers or at locations other than ones base of operations, I do it frequently at our church [I'm the treasurer], all one needs is the login information and choose Not to save the password.

Reaction score
Hi All,

This used to work for this account when i was on outlook 2013.

Any clues? My email is a disaster now.

Thanks!
with outlook closed, open and remove the .pst files, (every one associated wth outlook.) reboot - then before anything else open Outlook and let it reset all and it takes some time to find all related emails.....

Reaction score
My issue is slightly different. I just installed Outlook 2019 as a standalone installation on a single computer. I cannot delete emails. I click on any of the several delete buttons available and nothing happens (same thing for 'contacts' removals). I can delete on my ISP's server, but then what's the point of having Outlook, which I just paid Microsoft $140 for? I do not want deleted emails to disappear forever, because I sometimes need to refer back to them.

On a different forum that I don't qualify for, I read an April 2020 posting from a MS employee saying that this problem was known and that is would be addressed in the next few builds of the program. I downloaded a program update yesterday, but it did not fix the problem. How long will it take them?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a workaround? Thank you.

Ask a Question