Outlook freezing up

Reaction score
I am using Outlook from Office 365 for all my mail. Recently it will not complete a download of new mail or allow me to send mail. The bar at the bottom right goes about half way and stops. The only temporary fix is to shut down and restart...… until the next time ! Sometimes it can be 2-3 times a day, others every few days.
Any thoughts ?

Reaction score
How is the computer connected to the Internet, is it possibly losing that connection?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. No the internet connection is not the fault, as I can open my mail in Outlook.com and can use Bing with no problem.

Reaction score
It is wireless connection but I don't think that is the issue as I have no problem using the web or Outlook.com

Reaction score
best thing is goto
C:\Users\your name \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
then remove your .pst or .ost files, reboot then restart Outlook it will make new files and should be OK

Reaction score
Thanks, but I cannot open the link. I have tried twice to copy /paste. Please check and send again.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you are referring to Snuffy's post where he said to go here: C:\Users\your name \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook, then there is a couple of things to note:
  • There are no spaces between words and the \ symbols, unlike the example which had a space between you name and the next \
  • Where it says your name you need to replace your name with the actual Username you sign into Windows with. That name is case sensitive. Thus for example, my username is regedit32, so if I were using Snuffy's example I'd need to type:

C:\Users\regedit\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Where as if I accidently typed:

C:\Users\regedit \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or I typed: C:\Users\Regedit\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Then neither of those would work because there is no uppercase R in my username, and there must be no space after my username, and before that next \ symbol.

Reaction score
Thanks , try as I may I keep coming up with the same "cannot reach this page" I followed your instructions to the letter, copy/paste and typing in fresh, inserting my username....with no luck.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well something else you could try is the following:
  1. Open your email application
  2. Next navigate to Account Settings | Account Settings | Email (tab) | Change | More Settings | Advanced (tab)
  3. When at the Advanced (tab) look for where it says Folder - Root folder path

At that location enter Inbox then save changes

Now see whether things improve or not

Reaction score
  2. Next navigate to Account Settings | Account Settings | Email (tab) | Change | More Settings | Advanced (tab)

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. However it did not work. After following your instructions I got to the Root Folder path and put in Inbox. The result was that none of my folders in Outlook would come up and I had to remove the Inbox insertion to get them back.
Guess we will just keep on trying.
I appreciate your input.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of would be to uninstall outlook, reboot computer, then re-install outlook and hope that resolves the issue.

That would mean setting up your email accounts again, so maybe note down the settings for each account before uninstalling it.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your suggestions. Having done that once before I don't look forward to doing it again, so will hang in there and put up with the aggravation until ???

Reaction score
it does depend on what you have installed. x86 is different spot than x64.
a way to find open browser to C: (do a search for "your email name.pst" mine is
(e-mail address removed) you should find every email there. or
this is a link you can copy/paste you have to (search)
C:\Users\Snuffy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
appdata is hidden so you just type it in.

1570716649934.png

Ask a Question