outlook

Reaction score
When I am preparing an email and type in the first letter of the addressee, the full address appears below the "TO" field, but I cannot select it. everything I do just leaves he first letter in the TO field. Also, when I go to the address book, there are two "Contact" listings. one of them has nothing in it and apparently that is the one that is attempting to be used and I cannnot delete it. The second one, is complete and I can switch to it, select on of the addressee and then click on the TO field and the address will be placed on the email.

So, two problems, addresses will not autocomplete and I have tried to select that by does not appear in the advanced email options tab and second, have two contact lists on vacant and cannot delete it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your thread is titled "outlook".....
Can you advise as to which version of "outlook" you are using?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm on 2013 right now, but I think it is basically the same thing.
Open address book (mine is in the ribbon under the home tab), select tools -> options from the menu bar, select custom and then move the proper address book to the top and then use the drop down arrow to choose the proper one.
As far as removing the empty one, have a look here
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-outlook-2003-address-list-will-not-display.635366/
There's a link to a knowledgebase article in there that may help.

Reaction score
OK, good news and bad news. don't think I got the blank one deleted but at least it is now going to a populated list for names.

bad news is that when I put in the first letter, it gives me several options from my address/contacts list, however I cannot select any of them. if I highlight on and hit enter it only places the first let on the TO line

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try starting Outlook in safe mode and see if that makes any difference in how it behaves.
Windows logo key + R key and type
outlook.exe /safe
pick your profile and click OK.

Reaction score
followed procedure for starting in safe mode and got message indicating could not do that, but when I checked apparently it did and also now works properly, thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK???? I guess?
So if it works when Outlook is running in safe mode (outlook.exe /safe), and doesn't when Outlook is running in normal mode, that would suggest that there may be a plugin / addin that may be giving you grief.
Certain third party security suites as well as some PDF software are famous for causing issues in various components of the MS Office Suite.
You may want to start your investigation with that in mind.

Reaction score
I guess the real question is, what is wrong with running in the safe mode. everything seems to be working properly at the moment.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well I guess there really isn't anything actually "wrong with running in the safe mode".......
If that's what you want to do.
Personally I would want to determine what was actually causing the problem and attempt to resolve it, but....
That's just me.

Reaction score
I would normally agree with you, but in this situation I do not think I have the knowledge to pursue, find and correct what is causing the problem.

Ask a Question