PaperPort 14.5 suddenly says "PaperPort appears to be running in XP Compatibility Mode" -- but it's not.

Reaction score
I'm running PaperPort (Scansoft => Nuance => Kofax) 14.5 (14.5.13264.1414), the latest version I can find, and I'm very dependent on it for image management (eg, pasting screenshots), image editing (of jpg's and pdf's), scanning, etc. I got this new Windows 10 system a couple months ago and PaperPort installed and ran fine (or as fine as it ever does -- crashes happen) until a couple weeks ago when I started getting this message saying it's running in XP Compatibility Mode. (1) I didn't change anything about it's compatibility setting, (2) when I looked, it wasn't running in any compatibility mode, (3) when I ran the compatibility troubleshooter, it suggested I try Windows 8 compatibility, which I did, but I still received the same error message. The ScanDirect and PageViewer modules run separately have no problem, only the main desktop itself.

When I attempt to run the program I see the desktop come up and superimposed on it is the error dialog box (see attached), but when I close the dialog box, the program aborts.

Ideas appreciated.
Compatibility mode problems with PaperPort 14_5.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Righty,

first, which version of Win 10 are you running?:

Have you checked any support pages on the web?:

http://paperport.helpmax.net/en/welcome-to-paperport/using-paperport-help/ :)

I don't use the software so cannot really be of any further help!. :)

Reaction score
Per my System Specs, I'm running:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

I have it set to auto-update so this should be the latest.

I have written to Kofax tech support but not heard back from them.

The site you mention finds "no results" for "xp compatibility mode" and the "won't start" entries are irrelevant. "If you can't resolve the issues sends me to www.nuance.com who no longer publish the program.

I thought I was reaching out by posting here to someone who might know since PaperPort didn't change between when it worked and didn't, so it much be a change in Windows....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reaction score
I have build 18363 which is version 1909 so you should be up to date!, did you try other compatibility modes apart from Win 8?. :)

Reaction score
Per my System Specs, I'm running:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

I have it set to auto-update so this should be the latest.

I have written to Kofax tech support but not heard back from them.

The site you mention finds "no results" for "xp compatibility mode" and the "won't start" entries are irrelevant. "If you can't resolve the issues sends me to www.nuance.com who no longer publish the program.

I thought I was reaching out by posting here to someone who might know since PaperPort didn't change between when it worked and didn't, so it much be a change in Windows....

Thanks for your thoughts.
I dont know if this works for everybody but it worked for me.
Absolute nightmare as I have tried for weeks.
Run Paperport app, from type here to search ,right clicked for file location on all entries and removed the tick from the compatibility box and tapped applied then okayed in all cases.

Reaction score
I'm running PaperPort (Scansoft => Nuance => Kofax) 14.5 (14.5.13264.1414), the latest version I can find, and I'm very dependent on it for image management (eg, pasting screenshots), image editing (of jpg's and pdf's), scanning, etc. I got this new Windows 10 system a couple months ago and PaperPort installed and ran fine (or as fine as it ever does -- crashes happen) until a couple weeks ago when I started getting this message saying it's running in XP Compatibility Mode. (1) I didn't change anything about it's compatibility setting, (2) when I looked, it wasn't running in any compatibility mode, (3) when I ran the compatibility troubleshooter, it suggested I try Windows 8 compatibility, which I did, but I still received the same error message. The ScanDirect and PageViewer modules run separately have no problem, only the main desktop itself.

When I attempt to run the program I see the desktop come up and superimposed on it is the error dialog box (see attached), but when I close the dialog box, the program aborts.

Ideas appreciated.
View attachment 11274
This was a nightmare for me but I solved it.
This might be peculiar to my system but this is what I tried and it worked
Bottom left of your desktop type paperport and the app should appear.
Right click,open file location and the five components should appear(one of them is uninstall leave this alone).
Right click on each of the four in turn and turn off the compatiblity to anything clicking apply in each case.
Shutdown your computer and then restart.
Hope This helps

Reaction score
This was a nightmare for me but I solved it.
This might be peculiar to my system but this is what I tried and it worked
Bottom left of your desktop type paperport and the app should appear.
Right click,open file location and the five components should appear(one of them is uninstall leave this alone).
Right click on each of the four in turn and turn off the compatiblity to anything clicking apply in each case.
Shutdown your computer and then restart.
Hope This helps

I tried this and it did not work for me. I also tried a few other potential solutions with the registry but it did not seem to apply to my desktop, since I could not find the registry with a value for PAPRPORT (as required for the solution).
Anyway, tonight I accidentally found a solution for this.
I was trying to replace the PAPRPORT.exe from my notebook (which was working) to my desktop (which encountered this problem). Instead of overwriting the desktop PAPRPORT.exe, I renamed it to PAPRPORT2.exe. When I accidentally run this PAPRPORT2.exe, the software run without the error message. I renamed it again to PAPRPORT.exe, the error reappeared. I tested and confirmed that as long as the name is not PAPRPORT.exe, the software can run.
Hope this can help.

Reaction score
I tried this and it did not work for me. I also tried a few other potential solutions with the registry but it did not seem to apply to my desktop, since I could not find the registry with a value for PAPRPORT (as required for the solution).
Anyway, tonight I accidentally found a solution for this.
I was trying to replace the PAPRPORT.exe from my notebook (which was working) to my desktop (which encountered this problem). Instead of overwriting the desktop PAPRPORT.exe, I renamed it to PAPRPORT2.exe. When I accidentally run this PAPRPORT2.exe, the software run without the error message. I renamed it again to PAPRPORT.exe, the error reappeared. I tested and confirmed that as long as the name is not PAPRPORT.exe, the software can run.
Hope this can help.

It worked for me also. Thank you for your post. In the Program folder, I have both Paprport.exe and Paprport2.exe in order for it to work. I put new shortcuts to Paprport2.exe in my start menus. Thank you again.

Ask a Question