Password into Windows 10

Reaction score
Recently downloaded (on my laptop, not this PC) Windows 10 from 8.l. When the screen comes up with your email address and a slot to put password, it won't take my password (incorrect password or....) says go to: acount.live.com/password/reset; however, there is no where to put in this address. It doesn't ask me a question about changing password, click here. iT WON'T LET ME go beyond this entry page.

Reaction score
You are trying to use the password for your Microsoft account? Do you have two different passwords, have you ever run your system without a password?

Reaction score
I tried the gmail account password and the Microsoft (tried at least 5 old ones) they said "incorrect.' The problem is the screen won't let me leave that screen to put in the account.live.com address as it tells me to do to change password. I cannot access any thing to change the password.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any links on the sign-in screen referencing something like "I'm not" or "not me"?
Do you see any link or icon on the sign-in screen referencing "Language"?
Double check the account name and confirm that is exactly what it should be.
Do you have any other user accounts (local accounts) on the machine that you might use? Any list of users in the bottom left of the sign-in screen?
Use the "Eye" icon in the password box to confirm that the password is being entered exactly as you expect it to be (case sensitive).
Try using the On Screen Keyboard from the Ease of Access icon, just in case there is an issue with you current keyboard driver. Seems to be a problem sometimes especially with wireless keyboards.

Reaction score
It appears the no prior password my be something in common with some other threads.

But the Microsoft account uses your e-mail address for your user. If that is the sign-in you are seeing you should use that one. If you are being asked to sign into a live.mail account, I have no experience so I won't be able to help with that.

Reaction score
It appears the no prior password my be something in common with some other threads.

But the Microsoft account uses your e-mail address for your user. If that is the sign-in you are seeing you should use that one. If you are being asked to sign into a live.mail account, I have no experience so I won't be able to help with that.
the user address is my gmail account which comes up automatically but won't accept any password I try. No other place to access somewhere to change password. It has me blocked totally!

Reaction score
for me it said goto something like Microsoft /login/changepassword. this I had to do via a different computer,follow prompts and it sent a code to your e-mail address.from there go back (I did not close down the the last window from the change password window) you can at least get back in and if necessary change the password again.
sorry I cannot recall all the correct steps it was a long time ago

Reaction score
Go to your active PC then go to Microsoft and recover password. Follow all steps with codes to verify then change password. Use that password to log into your laptop. This is the way I had to do for password resets on Log In screen.

Ask a Question