Password is not incorrect

Reaction score
Installed Windows 10 last night on my windows 8.1 laptop (and no i did not image or back up anything first. Not vry computer savvy, just need it to work.) Install went smoothly. Screen appeared to login. Entered my login as I do for Wiindows 8.1 but it tells me the login is incorrect. Tried original sign in. that did not work. No I cannot access my computer at all. Have searched internet a bit for help and not finding any. Hope you can.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Hope and welcome to the forum.
Seems you're stuck in a bad place right now.
In the past (all the way up and including Windows 8.1) when I had to recover from a password issue I used this
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
The download comes as a zip file which you'll first need to extract. That extraction produces an ISO file. You can burn the ISO to a CD (USB version also there).
It's bootable there's a walkthrough link there as well, on how to use the product.
I usually just use it to enable the hidden administrator's account and then log on with that and reset the passwords from within the OS.
But
You can also use it to clear the password for any account that it finds (that will set it to a blank password).

I'll admit I haven't tried it yet on a Windows 10 install, so you'll be the test subject if you decide to use it.
Let me know how you progress.

Reaction score
Solved this on my own. Seems a step was left out. You have to hover over the "This is not me" and do a customization of apps, etc. Once that is complete, my password works.

Reaction score
Hi,

I've the same problem, I'm stuck on the login screen because my password isn't working. Where is the link "This is not me" because I don't see it.

Thank you!

Ask a Question