PC won't shut down or restrt

Reaction score
My Dell Inspiron 580 running the latest windows 10 with all updates wont shut down or reboot. Fast start up isn't checked which seems to be the most common solution.

What next?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using the command prompt and type
shutdown /s /t 00 (to shut down the computer)
OR
shutdown /r /t 00 (to restart the computer)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you check with the Dell support site to see if they have a BIOS update for your specific service tag number??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does it appear visually (on the monitor) that the Operating System is going through the shut down process?
Are there visual queues presented that suggests that the system is logging off and shutting down?
Still goes to black screen and PC stays powered on running.
When the system is in the state you described.....
What process is required for you to then resume to the working desktop.

Reaction score
On the monitors it says shutting down (or restarting which ever I do) then the screens go black, but the computer keeps running and doesn't power down.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the computer keeps running and doesn't power down
I think I understand that, but....
What, I'm asking is.... when it doesn't "power down" it sounds like you are left with a black / blank monitor.
Does it, at some point, automatically resume to a functioning desktop?
OR
Is it necessary for you to perform some action to get the computer back to a working desktop with icons and taskbar?

Reaction score
To get the PC working again I have to manually hold the power button on the side of the PC till all gos quite then press it again.
Oh and I get BSOD around once a week.
I'm thinking of reinstalling windows ATM and currently making 2 back ups of my data drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of reinstalling windows ATM and currently making 2 back ups of my data drive.
Would you mind trying this before you do.

Open an elevated (Admin) command prompt and in the command prompt window type
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

Reboot the system and test.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, thanks for trying.
Keep us posted on how the clean install goes after you finish your backups.

Right now I would suspect an issue, either with the Power Supply or with the On / Off switch terminus at the power jumper on the motherboard although the switch itself or its' cabling could be faulty, although IF you can press and hold the switch and the machine shuts down completely and doesn't offer to come back on without further action on your part, I would think that the switch is less likely.
AND
I don't suppose we could rule out some type of weird third party software although I can't imagine what it would be.
Have you examined all the pertinent BIOS settings regarding power management and anything that might be causing the motherboard to enter some type of standby state after the Operating System closes?

Ask a Question