SOLVED Windows 10 won't shut down

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a freshly upgraded laptop (8.1 > 10) which worked fine until now. When I try to shut down the PC, it just hangs at the blue shutting down screen and the circle keeps on spinning.

I have to hard power off the laptop by holding down the off button, but that isn't going to do the laptop any good.

What can I do to fix this? Is there anywhere that will tell me what happens when shutting down?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums :).

How long have you left your PC for, does it stay like that for tens of seconds, minutes or hours? Sometimes you can have a background process/application that Windows can't close properly. If this is the case, it will often prompt you to force close the application (and if it's some useless background process you can stop it from running in the first place).

Does anything show up in event viewer? If there are any error/warning messages in there at the time of shutdown, then please paste them in here and I'll take a look.

Reaction score
Problem solved! It was my headphone detection software keeping the computer from turning off. I have disabled it from running and I can now restart and shutdown!

Ask a Question