PDF files close after 10-30 seconds

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago my PDF files began to automatically close 10-30 seconds after opening. I restarted my PC, and it seemed to fix the problem. I am using Adobe Reader XI v11.0.23. (I prefer Adobe Reader XI because Reader DC limits some useful features). The problem began happening again today, and restarting my PC did not fix it this time. One online solution on YouTube was to run Eula.exe found in (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader. The suggestion came from someone who was experiencing the file immediately closing without ANY delay. This did not fix my problem. Compatibility troubleshooting resulted in the message that the program was not compatible with Windows 10, although it worked perfectly for me several months after I bought the PC. Further troubleshooting revealed that if I disconnect from my network, the files stay open, and additional PDF's I open will not close. However, with NO PDF's open and My PC connected to my network, they will not stay open.
Running Windows10 v.1909 (OS Build 18363.778) on an HP Envy Desktop

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Hi vev46,

have you had any luck opening PDF docs with Edge browser and does it do the same?. :)

Reaction score
Just a wild thought! PDF files are notorious for being sent worldwide, with viruses embedded. I am wondering if you antivirus (Defender perhaps?) is taking a short while to assess the file and close it - trying to protect you!
Only way to test that theory is to temporarily deisable the antivirus.

Reaction score
Just a wild thought! PDF files are notorious for being sent worldwide, with viruses embedded. I am wondering if you antivirus (Defender perhaps?) is taking a short while to assess the file and close it - trying to protect you!
Only way to test that theory is to temporarily deisable the antivirus.
Yes, but if your correct and he disables and it is infected... :mad:

Reaction score
Quote from my post "is to temporarily disable the antivirus "
You are correct. Perhaps I should add: I am sure Defender, or whatever he uses, is seeing a false negative. If my suggestion works, then, perhaps as a precaution, he should transfer it to an external or similar, and run a virus check on it again

Reaction score
Update: I realized that my PDF's would stay open only if I my WiFi was disabled. Reconnecting to WiFi did not close the open PDF file, and additional PDF's I would open stayed open as well. If I closed all my PDF's (with WiFi enabled) and then tried to open one without disconnecting, it would close. As long as I let one PDF stay open, I can open more with no problem. I can live with this, and I am not going to waste any more time trying to figure it out.

Reaction score
Update: I realized that my PDF's would stay open only if I my WiFi was disabled. Reconnecting to WiFi did not close the open PDF file, and additional PDF's I would open stayed open as well. If I closed all my PDF's (with WiFi enabled) and then tried to open one without disconnecting, it would close. As long as I let one PDF stay open, I can open more with no problem. I can live with this, and I am not going to waste any more time trying to figure it out.
Then maybe a better option is to download and examine them on your computer?

Reaction score
Forget it. My mistske. I see you already have them on you computer. I got sidelined by your comment regarding wifi.
With that in mind, contrary to Wolfie’suggestion. Just check that you still have Adobe listed as your default. It might have changed to Edge in a recent update.

Last edited:

Ask a Question