SOLVED Changed All My Files To Pdf

Reaction score
Why did it change all my adobe files to PDF so they are no longer usable? Biggest mistake ever-windows 10

Reaction score
I am confused on what you mean. Adobe Files? Windows 10 wouldn't change the file extension to PDF from an upgrade. You either have some very specific kind of virus/malware that did that, or you might be talking about the file type associations. You can change those in the settings via the Control Panel.

Reaction score
I wonder if you accidentally invoked this facility (In MS Word): It may be reversible?

Capture.PNG

But to which Adobe are you referring? Adobe reader does, of course, use PDF files, but is not required now, as Windows opens them natively, with the new browser, Edge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help. I had many and I mean many genealogy charts saved to my desktop. Its a chart I download from a free site and then fill in as I go along. When I downloaded windows 10 all of the files now say in big letters PDF on my desktop. When I tried to download a new empty chart as an experiment it downloaded as a PDF which of course make it unusable. I am constantly changing things in these charts, or at least I was.

Reaction score
I think you are confused about downloading and saving. Could you please show us the process you are using with screenshots?

Reaction score
ok, I go to a great site called aboutgenealogy.com. They have a variety of free charts. You choose the one you like and download it. When you have filled it out you save it using save as, because each one is going to have a different chart number. They are all saved in my Desktop file. The first ones actually appear on my actual desktop and but they are all saved in the file called desktop. Before they all had an adobe icon before each file name. After loading 10 they all changed to pdf files so as you know the are now permanent which for me makes them unusable for adding any new information. I tried loading a new blank chart from the site but now it is immediately changed to a PDF as it downloads so you can't type anything on it.
Has anyone ever tried to delete windows 10 and reinstall 7?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Before they all had an adobe icon before each file name. After loading 10 they all changed to pdf files
The fact that they had an adobe icon would suggest that they are by default PDF files (before and after)
Have you installed Acrobat Reader and set it as your default PDF handler?
I believe by default, Microsoft Edge is the PDF viewer and may not support editing in the same manner that you are familiar with.

Reaction score
As Trouble has mentioned the only common text-style document format adobe has is really PDF. Just because an icon changed for the filetype doesn't mean the filetype itself changed -- I'm assuming that they were always PDF's but certain PDF viewers have different capabilities to edit PDF's. PDF's *can* be edited and signed just so you know. This is more likely not to be an issue with Windows 10 but unfamiliarity with it. Microsoft changed the icons so that they fit the new "look" of Windows, but the icons are just a visual change, that's it.

Reaction score
I use adobe reader VI. Before installation of 10 I could edit all my files. Now I can't edit anything that has to do with abode.This happened immediately after the download. I did not change anything, Windows 10 changed it somehow. Not just the icon. I am familiar with pdf files. The file type did change to something that can not be edited, before it could. Now when I download a file it immediately become unusable, there are no fillable fields available. I have carbonite and they may be able to help but it seems that adobe is no longer permitted to make usable files for any of us due to Windows 10. I know Adobe sells programs that will translate them back to something useable for a monthly fee. I still haven't tried to open any of my business contracts that have writable fields on this computer. . Again, thank you all for your time.

Reaction score
something else weird. I just found a file in my desktop file that still had the old Adobe reader logo, icon. It's still able to be edited , none of the rest of them are. I haven't added anything to this file since the windows 10 installation.

Reaction score
I think you may be getting confused with the multiple posts.

Windows 10 did change your pdf reader. The new default is the Windows 10 browser - Edge.
I assume, as you edit PDF files, you are using the full version and not the reader alone?

Right click the Start icon and select the Control Panel.
Open "Default Programs"
"Set your default program"

Scroll down to your PDF program, and select it as the default.

Restart.

Your pdf files should then open as they used to. If they do not, you should examine your pdf program and perhaps reinstall it.

Reaction score
Yeeh!!!!!! I reinstalled adobe reader and now all the files are again editable. .I do just use the reader The little icons all changed also back to a version of the adobe logo. When I went into the control panel Adobe was missing from the list so as you suggested I just reinstalled it. Thank You,Thank You !!!! Good Bye all and thank you for taking the time to help.

Reaction score
My guess is that you installed Version 1511 (the Windows 10 November feature update). The update process for Version 1511 actually performs an upgrade of the operating system from Windows 10 Build 10240 to Windows 10 Build 10586. This upgrade process resets certain components of the operating system, most notably the file extension associations.

What happened to you was that the PDF extension association was reset to the default of Microsoft Edge, rather than Adobe Reader.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Ask a Question