Permission to access external drive (SD CARD) denied

Reaction score
"You don't currently have permission to access this folder" :
I had this problem before and solved it by right clicking the affected folder , choosing the security tab and so acquiring total control.
Except this time is going on with the external drive J:\ , that is my smartphone´s SD card plugged on a usb port of my desktop.
No use to right click for properties as the Security tab is not available for J:\.
This occurs with my main admin account. I have another administrator account and tested the connection between the smartphone > SD card successfully : full permission.
Another problem is that the drive J:\ , which used to close as I disconnected the usb connection with the smartphone, since this problem started , is shown on the drives list. No matter if I reboot the system , J:\ remains there as a ghost drive (can´t be ejected as hardware).

Well I am asking suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this and see if it helps.
On the problem machine.....
Disconnect the external device, then....
Open Device Manager
From the menu bar select View -> Show Hidden Devices
Expand "Portable Devices"
Look for any reference to your external device (by name or drive letter "J" apparently)
Right click it and choose uninstall, click OK when prompted.
Reconnect the device and see if that changes anything.

Ask a Question